PLL Pinmod Overclocking Methods and Examples

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by moral hazard, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    You'll find linked off the first page of this thread the 9LPRS355 datasheet and the setPLL link. The setpLL link has a .LUT file showing what the PLL registers look like when overclocking a 2510P which uses the same PLL but a base frequency of 133Mhz. Suggest review the datasheet against that LUT file and perform bitwise changes on your PLL using setfsb's diagnosis window until you've figured out what needs to be done to overclock it. When done, create a new .LUT file for use with setPLL for your system to automate the overclock.

2. EtrustMe

EtrustMe Newbie

Reputations:
    I guess that the link for the 9LPRS355 datasheet is not working.

3. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    ICS9LPRS365BGLF is very similar so can use it's datasheet instead. Though you might not even need it. setPLL's 9LPRS355bklf.LUT file shows which PLL registers need to be altered to do the overclock so can start trying those using setfsb's diagnosis window. A bit of trial-and-error and she'll be good to go.

4. dadik

dadik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

by default is most of laptops locked for change of FSB(overclocking), so you have to improve your motherboard via some method, I recommend you to read first page of this thread :)

5. dadik

Reputations:
    so guys, I ve managed to TME unlock my (HP dv6-1419EO) Quanta (Montevinna PM45, DDR3) with SLG...513v by connecting pin 11 to GND with 10k resistor, so SETFSB(using older version) register 9 is showing 25hex.

When I try to increase/decrease FSB laptop freezes. Does anyone know why ? I assume that the voltage shouldnt be an issue, when even underclocking doing the same. Should I turn-off C-States in BIOS ?or try to switch P8400 with T4200 ?

6. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Small changes are going to be fine on your system. Certainly shouldn't freeze. What's probably happening is setfsb sends some data to the PLL that doesn't work with your system.

I'd suggest finding the PLL datasheet to work with and start poking values into the setfsb Diagnosis screen to figure out what needs to be altered. Then create a .lut file in setPLL to automate that so can overclock to any point you want. Either that or pay a $10 donation fee to the setfsb author so can work with you and tweak his setfsb PLL definition to work accurately with your PLL.

7. dadik

Reputations:
    First of all thanks for response, Problem is that SLG8SP513V only allowing large steps (100/133/166/200/266/333/400) but the system should remain stable while I change 266 to 200 :( so I assume that there is some problem, DATAsheet is listed on the first page, I am willing to pay 10$ If the author of SETFSB will be able to help me, but correct me if I am wrong my PLL is listed for a while and it should work, right ?

8. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It works differently on different notebooks.

That pll could be made to change something like the source for the sata clock when you press setfsb. That may be fine for most notebooks, but some notebooks lock up when the change is made ( like one of my notebooks).

So the plls in setfsb are not going to work for every notebook even of you find your pll on the list.

9. dadik

Reputations:
    Ah, that makes sense :) I have been digging this thread for a while and someone managed overclock acer here with same PLL using another SLG plls with small 0,3mhz steps, anyway While I try those plls, it works for few sec but after explorer goes really bad and cursor is freezing so my guess is messing up PCIE clocks, so I should contact SETFSB author because I am not feeling confident enough to make LUT file on my own, maybe with little help :)). Anyway thanks very much.

BTW: Is it even possible when pll support only large jumps to force it for small ones ? is it only matter of software ?

10. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Not really, you can usually see the jumps possible in the datasheet for the PLL.

Some PLLs do really only offer large jumps.

Only way to be sure is to read the datasheet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.