PLL Pinmod Overclocking Methods and Examples

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by moral hazard, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
  2. SunnyChrono6

SunnyChrono6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey nando4,according to http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m11x/463095-m11x-clock-generator-ics9lprs387bklf-12.html, I don't need to do a pin-mod because in step 2),byte 09h,my hex is 25,and that bit which tells us whether overclocking is enabled is a 0,so overclocking is enabled,but whenever I try to change according to the last step(from 44 to something),when I click update and apply it doesn't change.I can't do step 4 either,and step 5,my hex is already 65.So do I need to do a pin-mod anyway?

3. SunnyChrono6

Reputations:
    I opened up my Vostro and took out the motherboard,it has an ICS 9LPRS365BLGF.Problem is,I don't know which pin to cut(which side) because it is different from the one in the picture of the M11x.1)Is the thing that says 14.318.

Attached Files:

4. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Good that you opened up the system but that photo is terrible - I can't see anything at all. I'll take your word for it. That PLL would be the right vintage for the system. The m11xR1 PLL is newer and it didn't make sense why that same PLL would have been in your system.

You already checked byte 9 and confirmed TME was not locked. In which case use the freeware setfsb, select the ICS 9LPRS365BLGF PLL and see if it will overclock OK. If it does, then use Throttlestop to control the voltage and divider to identify the maximum stable overclock you can achieve within thermal limits. That's 100 degrees under full load, though I'd suggest going for 93 degrees max to give cooler running and a margin of safety.

5. SunnyChrono6

Reputations:
    I already tried that,but it didn't work.When I click 'setFSB'it would have no effect.

6. SunnyChrono6

Reputations:
    BTW can someone tell me how to use SPDtool?

EDIT:Never mid,figured it out myself.

7. manocao

manocao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    original registers
    [​IMG]

modded registers
    [​IMG]

this is what i tried without results:

1. hex E5 is bin 1(1)100101, (1) means pll is locked against overclocking
    2. here i enable 22 registers instead of 13 (hex 16 is bin 22)
    3. hex 61 is bin 01100(00)1 > i change to hex 67 which is bin 01100(11)1. i keep all the other bits except (00), so sata clock runs on pll2 and src on pll3
    4. hex 01 is bin 0(00000)01 > i change to hex 65 which is bin 0(11001)01. i keep all the other bits except (00000), so i enable pll3 and pll2, disable src and pci divider, and enable cpu divider
    5. i enable m/n divider by changing hex 00 to hex 01, which is bin 00000001
    6. the problem is here, no matter the value i change in 0D or 0E that, after update and apply, it always change back itself to 49 and 4E. changing 0D and 0E has no effects, overclocking is not enabled? changing those bytes are not allowed by pll?
    i tried changing hex 4E to 5E (that is hex +10), then update and apply, but setfsb shows 4E again

can someone help???
    thanks

8. EtrustMe

EtrustMe Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone.
    My laptop is hp pavilion dv6-1220so and it's PLL is ICS 9LPRS355BKL. I managed to TME unlock it by cutting off the pin11 and pointing it to the GND via 10k resistor. As you can see register 9 bit 6 is 0 so it's worked. [​IMG]
    But the problem is when I'm pressing Set FSB button, my system is freezing, even if didn't changed FSB. I'm getting black screen with some vertical lines shuttering all the time. I don't know what to do, can somebody help with this?

9. manocao

Reputations:
    thanks a lot nando
    im gonna cut pin 14 track
    could someone take a picture of nav50 pll to see if pin 14 is attached to a resistor, so that removing resistor voids pin 14 without having to cut
    this is only picture i found
    [​IMG]
    thanks

according to pll datasheet here, pin 14 is PCI2/TME, I/O type:

3.3V PCI clock output / Trusted Mode Enable(TME) Latched Input. This pin is sampled on power-up
    as follows
    0=Overclocking of CPU and SRC allowed
    1=Overclocking of CPU and SRC NOT allowed
    After being sampled on power-up, this pin becomes a 3.3V PCI Output

once booted, pin 14 becomes 3.3v pci output, does this means that it may affect pci features if i cut the track? is there any risk affecting laptop performance if i cut the track?

thanks

10. manocao

Reputations:
    how do i disable speedstep in bios and xp so that cpu always run at max speed (166x10=1660mhz)? how do i choose this behaviour only with ac power?
    this is my nav50 1.26 bios with unlocked power menu
    [​IMG]
    thanks

here is full bios gallery

edit: disabling IST Configuration doesnt have any effects
    but disabling C-States Support, which also disables 5 lines below, it works: cpu always running at 1660mhz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.