Plextor PX-608CU Super Multi Portable Drive Review

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Jerry Jackson, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantum

quantum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The MBA spec states clearly the single USB port runs more power through it than standard USB spec to be able to power the Superdrive... Hence I think it shouldn't be such a surprise that the Plextor worked fine with a hub on the MBA.

There was a discussion at TabletPCReview on external drives, and the LG drive seems to be the best of all worlds:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=12793&page=2&highlight=plextor

I can vouch for the LG drive, as I purchased it. I think this shouldn't be a surprise considering that the LG external drive packaged with the C1 tablet also runs (and writes) fine on a single USB port.

2. sipp11

sipp11 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have you guys noticed the noise coming from this drive?
    mine works very good, but also produces lots of noise.

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I bought the Samsung SE-T084L a few months back. This uses only one USB port but automatically drops to half speed on both read and write in order to limit the power. It also has a mains adaptor and when this is connected it runs at full speed. However, the SE-T084L seems to have been a limited edition run and is now hard to find in the retail chain.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.