Please Recommend A Cooling Pad For Gaming

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by ronferri, Nov 10, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's all unknown until you find someone with the same laptop reporting temps and results from specific laptop stands :)

Like I said try lifting the back of your laptop a couple of inches higher than the front, maybe lift both a bit to increase air flow under the laptop.

Also, make sure the laptop exhaust is going out into open space, and not reflecting off a wall, or worse into a corner, where the hot air will reflect back into your laptop air intakes.

I used to use a nice picture book, the large tall kind to set a laptop on and then prop the back up with a couple of books. A wood plank and something to prop it up in back also worked :)

Not a lot of people report before / after temp results, or any results at all, just a single huge number that's hard to believe given personal experiences.

If you have a portable air-conditioner some NBR folk use one under a laptop to get forced cold air into them for benchmarking, anything to reduce thermals.

Please post what you try and how it works for you. :)

Vistar Shook, ronferri and MiSJAH like this.
  3. ronferri

ronferri Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @hmscott Thanks for your feedback.

Do you have any before and after temps based on the Cooler Master NotePal ErgoStand III which you recommended? any estimates? If yes please also mention the laptop model. Thanks.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @hmscott do you have any experience of the vacuum style coolers that pull heat from the exhaust vents?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ask @Mr. Fox

MiSJAH likes this.
  6. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox do you have any experience of the vacuum style coolers that pull heat from the exhaust?

7. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What model/brand do you have in mind? I searched this type of coolers before but unfortunately all of them are only for thin/ulltrabook laptops. No sure if this is viable for those who have 2" thick units.

8. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My X5V6 is under an inch thick. I'm looking to see some reviews with temp differences.

9. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I can vouch for propping the back of the laptop up a little. Almost every laptop I've done that has seen a non-trivial drop in temps.

Just try it. You only need to lift it slightly. Just put something small and sturdy under the back feet like two taped up stacks of coins or something.

Hell, just to test it you could just lift the back off the desk an inch with your hands while load is being applied and watch if temps drop over a few minutes. It's usually pretty quick to happen.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  10. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ok i cant post pictures as i sold it..

i was using a 260m laptop that would soar to 90c fast...with the sf19 it would hover around 70c 71c

currently i have overheating issues with my msi laptop and am looking for the sf 19 myyself as i know its like a tornado under the laptop