Please help with new laptop? Difficult to find 17" with 2TB..

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by lithnights, Aug 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lithnights

lithnights Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    RESOLVED

Hi all,
    I'm looking for a replacement laptop. I've answered the below questions as requested in the pinned thread, but here are my requirements in a nutshell. 17", 2TB+ hard drive, 16GB+ memory ideally, SD slot.
    I've researched a ton, messaged Dell customer service, asked around, but it seems so hard to find 17" laptops with 2TB hard drive and adequate memory.

Thanks in advance!

1) What is your budget?
    Preferably under $1000 but willing to go over if needed.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    U.S.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Past 3 have been Dell but I am open minded to anything.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    I'm always multi tasking... Excel, Word, internet (with multiple browsers open each with dozen plus tabs open), Lightroom (photo editing), HD video editing, iTunes, SONOS, kids games etc. e.g. all of these are open right now at the same time as I'm typing this.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Sits on counter 90% of time. Sometimes on the couch. Rarely out of the house.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    No.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Have always had about 3 or so which is what I'm used to.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Prefer to see since sometimes picky about keyboard, ports etc. But haven't seen my last 3 Dell laptops and have always gotten used to them.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    Probably..High Resolution: 1080p (1920x1080)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Not sure

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    2TB or more. I have tens of thousands of high quality photos (novice photographer) and thousands of HD home videos that we like to access easily and often. We are at 1.4TB currently on our NAS (Network Attached Storage) but I don't want to use the NAS or cloud to access our stuff. I want them on the laptop itself due to access speed issues at times. It seems accessing files from the NAS is slower than accessing from the laptop hard drive itself and that's annoying when photo and video editing.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    I typically get 4 years until replacing.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Not long.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Ideally not. I've never had to do that so I guess I've been lucky!

==========

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  2. OverTallman

OverTallman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why not just get a base model 17" laptop with a nice 1080p screen and SD card slot then upgrade the storage and memory by yourself? Should be cheaper than buying a laptop with such configuration from system builders, they tend to mark up prices on storage/memory upgrades.

3. lithnights

Reputations:
    Good question. Basically b/c I'm a newbie and have never done that. I'm not saying I wouldn't give it a shot, and based on the feedback I get on this post, I just may go that route.
    So if I would ever go that route, I would just concentrate on the fastest/best chip, right? And make sure the laptop is expandable to more memory and bigger hard drive, right?
    Great suggestion!
    Thanks,

4. OverTallman

OverTallman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yep, faster chip is almost always better, except when it overheats. IMO i7-8550U should easily fulfill your needs, a quad core chip with 8 threads, but has low power consumption. If the budget doesn't allow that, i5-8250U is still a viable chip, it's still a quad core, just without hyper-threading.

Put more focus on the number of memory slots though, with two slots you can get a pair of 8GB RAM instead of a single 16GB RAM, cheaper and with dual channel enabled. I think most 17" laptops have at least two memory slots so it shouldn't be a big problem.

5. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You said you want to play games right? Maybe a Nitro 5 would do well, and you can upgrade the storage? If not, a refurbed XPS 15 is very nice IMO

6. lithnights

Reputations:
    To clarify, when I say games I mean simple kids games that are web based. i.e. my young kids go to a website and play simple interactive kids games. Likely nothing that takes up major memory like a dedicated game would.

7. Mastermind5200

Reputations:
    Then an XPS 15 (refurbed) should do wonders for you, although I'm sure there may be another laptop, but nothing with as good as build quality IMO

Spartan likes this.
  8. lithnights

Reputations:
    Interesting...not familiar with XPS15. But that's a 15", no?
    Thanks!

9. lithnights

Reputations:
    Great info.. learning a lot here..
    1) sorry if this is a dumb question but what is the advantage of two 8GB vs. one 16GB?
    2) And what exactly does dual channel mean, and do for me?
    3) I actually just came across two 17" with 2TB possibilities from Dell.. one states "16GB Single Channel DDR4 2400MHz" and the other states "16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz, up to 32GB". Does the second one mean dual channel, and if not, what do these specs mean for me and my use?

Thanks!

10. Mastermind5200

Reputations:
    Dual channel doesn't provide any signifgant benefits unless you specifically need fast RAM, which you do not

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.