Please Help..my M17x R2 got many problems after do recovery from resource CD :(

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by C double U, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That is happening because your BIOS is not finding your existing Windows installation when you switch to AHCI mode. But that's OK because you should boot from CD/DVD and not reinstall from within Windows. You can change the boot order in BIOS for the optical drive to be first in boot sequence, or use F12 and select the optical drive as the first boot device to begin the reinstallation process. Then watch your screen for the prompt to press any key to boot from CD so the Windows setup begins.

2. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    You may end up needing Intel F6 drivers if you go back with RAID0. You can get them from Intel at this link here. Read the release notes and other documentation on how to use these drivers.

3. C double U

C double U Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It seems like the HDDs are not detected when i change from RAID to AHCI mode..what should i do, Mr. Fox..?

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Did you press Ctrl-I at boot and go into the Intel RAID tool and remove the drives from the RAID membership? That is probably what is wrong. If the BIOS is telling the system it has AHCI and a RAID is still configured, Windows will not see the RAID. If you want to install in AHCI, you will have to take the drives out of RAID first.

You may have to change your BIOS setting back to RAID to use the Ctrl-I hotkey to remove the RAID configuration on the drives.

5. C double U

Reputations:
    I have tried to press CTRL+I but it seemed nothing happened.

the only thing happens when i press CTRL+I is there's like an option for me to choose..either start normally with Windows 7 or Go to Diagnostic Tools. :(

and when i choose Diagnostic Tools, it only checked my RAM.

and btw..is there any way to reset our HDD to its factory default volume, Mr. Fox..? because currently my HDD is 250gb + 750gb..I wanna change it back to 500gb + 500gb..

thanks Mr. Fox.. :)

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    In your BIOS, set the system to RAID and enable the option to display the Intel RST menu (I cannot remember exactly how that reads on the R2). You will then see a message on screen about pressing Ctrl+I. That will bring up a menu where you can create or delete a RAID volume.

Once your "break" the RAID array, the default will automatically be 500GB/500GB because that is the size of each of your HDD. In fact, the only way your could have them appears as 250GB/750GB to your system is through RAID.

Once you have done this, shut down, restart, then go back into BIOS to set the system for AHCI. Your drives should then be properly recognized.

7. C double U

Reputations:
    It works It works..! haha.. :biggrin:

dunno which one is the correct one..but i just set em all into enabled..they are.."Intel Virtual Technology" and "RAID OPROM UI"..they both used to be disabled and i changed em to "enabled"..

so now i can enter the RAID setup..but..im kinda afraid to choose an option.. :confused: ..coz i dont wanna any problem..so im trying to not be rushy this time..lol..so..just wanna reconfirm it with you which option should i choose Mr. Fox..haha.. :eek:

There are two options that make me confuse, number 2 and 3.

what does it means by "Reset Disks to NON-RAID", Mr. Fox..?

which one should i choose..?

and if i have to delete the HDDs from the list, they should the underneath the "PHYSICAL DEVICES" section, am i correct Mr. Fox..?

I dunno how much thanks should i say to you, Mr. Fox..you're really" helpful..! :)

BIG thanks Mr. Fox..! :notworthy:

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It means the drives will not be in RAID after selecting this option. I do not know what the functional difference is between #2 and #3, but either option will work if you are going to do a clean installation. I would choose #2. (That's what I have chosen in the past.) I am guessing #3 might save the data somehow, but I am not positive. (No reason to save the files if you are doing a clean install.)

Yes, you are correct. They will be listed in the physical devices section, but they will be listed as non-member discs.

The best way to say thank you is to just say it like you did. You can also give a rep point by clicking the middle icon on the lower left. It looks like a scale.

Have a great day (or night, depending on your location).

9. C double U

Reputations:
    haha..im in Australia, and it is 12pm now..lol

I have added a rep for you yesterday, and when i click that again, it said that i have to spread to the other first..haha..

yeah..im trying to figure out what's the differences between them, just want to expand my knowledge about this thing. This is the best description that i can find in the internet. Take it from "Installation Readme of Intel Matrix Storage Manager"

* 11. OPTION ROM RAID VOLUME MANAGEMENT
    The Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM provides pre-os
    RAID volume management which enables the following:

1. Create a RAID volume
    Use this option to create one or two RAID volumes.

2. Delete a RAID volume
    Use this option to delete a RAID volume.

3. Reset to Non-RAID Hard Disks
    Use this option to reset a RAID configuration to a non-RAID
    configuration.

* 12. OPTIONS TO RESET THE RAID VOLUME in Option ROM
    Intel(R) Matrix Storage Option ROM user interface provides two
    methods for resetting the RAID volume,
    1. Delete RAID Volume
    2. Reset Disk to Non-RAID
    Differences between the options are noted below. Users are
    advised to select the option judiciously.

12.1 Reset Disk to Non-RAID

This option is used to reset the metadata on the disk which
    participates in more than one RAID volume in single operation.
    It should be used if 'Delete RAID Volume' option fails for any
    reason and to reset a disk that has been marked as Spare and
    offline member. When a disk in the RAID volume is reset to
    non-RAID, RAID metadata is erased. However, partition table and
    file system related data still exists, which may be invalid. This
    might cause Windows installer to misinterpret the information
    available on the 'reset disk' at the time of installation. This
    could result in unexpected behavior in OS installation.

12.2 Delete RAID Volume

When a RAID volume is deleted, RAID metadata on the participating
    disks is erased and sector zero is cleared, that is partition
    table and file system related data are reset. Windows installer
    will not see any invalid data at the time of OS installation. This
    is the recommended method for reconfiguring the RAID volume and
    installing OS on it.

-----------------

I will definitely choose "Delete RAID Volume" tonight. lol.

btw, according to that, does it means that if we choose "Reset Disks to NON-RAID" data, the HDD will become NON-RAID but we can set it back to RAID again someday..? :confused:

and..if i may to ask something Mr. Fox (just curious though), why we couldn't change AHCI back to RAID..?

Hope everything go well tonight.. :eek:

Thanks Mr. Fox.. :)

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I'm not 100% certain of this, but I think the Intel Rapid Storage Technology will allow you to convert a non-RAID Windows installation to RAID, but not the other way around. (I don't know why I am thinking this, but it seems I remember reading this some place. As much as I try to avoid it, I may just be full of crap about remembering this.) In order to convert a non-RAID disk to RAID, I am fairly certain that you must set the BIOS to RAID instead of AHCI before installing Windows. You do not have to install Windows in a RAID array for the BIOS setting on RAID to work on a non-RAID. (In other words, set the BIOS to RAID, but don't create an array... just install Windows.)

There is an Intel Rapid Storage Technology GUI option in Windows to create a RAID volume, but I do not know if that will work when it involves the host OS drive, or just 2 or more secondary drives. I've not taken time to learn the ins and outs about it because I don't see RAID volumes as being all that relevant... at least, not relevant to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.