Please help me find a great laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Mik1, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    Yes, I'm planning to buy the P35x v3 as well, sounds pretty amazing on paper, plus IPS and 3k display options. Brand new, so there aren't any reviews yet.

Mik1 likes this.
  2. WARDOZER9

WARDOZER9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh, I didn't even notice you said you wanted a high quality screen. Again, HP EliteBook or DELL Precision. They tend to have better screens than most consumer laptops, especially if you go with the IPS displays and they are some of the only laptop that have that option even available.

I used to swear off an entire company when I was still ignorant of branch separation like the consumer and business branches of DELL and HP but then I got smart, read more, happened across a co-workers HP EliteBook and when I stopped being an ignorant brand loyalist, I realized that just because one branch of a company sucks it doesn't mean all of their products from each branch do.

If anything, I hope that even if I can't get you to take a serious look at an HP EliteBook which you should because if you want to be a smart buyer and not an easy target for companies that love ignorant and fanboy-esque buyer, you NEED to make sure your money is wisely spent but in the end. It's your money and if you think brand loyalty really is going to reward you with a better expenditure of your hard earned funds, it is your money so spend it as you see fit.

IF you really want to use PhotoShop and other programs seriously then you NEED to consider workstation with a a better LCD than you can get on 90%+ of consumer grade laptops and a workstation class GPU capable of better performance in productivity and editing software but if playing games means more to you and light bleed doesn't bother you on a lesser LCD, consumer grade all the way.

Did I mention 3-year standard warranty on ElitBooks and Precisions?

You have been educated, whether it sticks or not is up to you but I can only "try" to help someone, it's up to you to be helped.

Also, c'mon guys, wth is with almost everyone jumping on the "GET THE FASTEST GPU FOR GAMES CAUSE F THAT SERIOUS STUFF YOU WANT TO DO!! GAEM MAOR !!!!" I'm about sick and tired of seeing people push gaming systems when someone has serious usage listed in their desired use for a system.

3. Mik1

Mik1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Why so aggressive? I thanked everyone for their suggestions and said I would evaluate them all. That includes yours. I don't have loyalty to any computer mfg and I'm actually more informed than you think.

I originally asked whether I needed a workstation because right now I use Photoshop CS6 on a 4 year old Dell SXPS 16 i5, 4GB ram, with a 1GB Radeon 4670 for web design, no 3d renderings, nothing crazy and it handles it alright.

Please be assured that I will evaluate your suggestion along with all the others. Thanks again.

D2 Ultima likes this.
  4. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    Workstation graphics is not necessary for Photoshop. I sometimes work with huge outdoor advertising files, where scratch disk balloons up to 100-150GB or so. My graphics card is pretty weak, but SSD, i7 and 16GB RAM help to provide a more snappy performance than my old desktop.

Mik1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.