Please help me find a great laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Mik1, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mik1

Mik1 Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Up to 1600

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Netbook; 10” screen or less
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12” screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    b. Dislike: Apple, HP

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Maybe

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Photoshop, coding, web browsing, some gaming, video chat/conference

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    On occasion. Mostly The Sims for now, but I would like a laptop that gives me the ability to throw something demanding at it.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    At least 2. It will be plugged in most of the time.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online is fine.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
    1920x1080

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
    Best screen available.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Very

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    As soon as possible.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    3-5 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    500GB min. SSD is fine.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    DVD Burner

I'm looking for a powerful, attractive laptop with the best screen available. For reference: I searched through some threads and The Sager 8268 had ideal configurations, but I wasn't sure if I found it aesthetically pleasing. It's size is holding me back.

Thanks for helping.

ETA: Are there any laptops like what I described above with great built-in webcams?

2. WARDOZER9

WARDOZER9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can find HP EliteBook 8570W's for under $1,000 now either refurb'd or with 1+yr warranty remaining that meet all your requirements. The Z Book 15 ( new model ) can be had right at your maximum price point and depending on the configuration, hair under.

That's my inpootis as I'm partial to the HP business class line due to about 7 years of excellent results from them.

3. Mik1

Mik1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't think I need a workstation (do I?) and I strongly dislike HP. Thank you for your suggestions though!

4. WARDOZER9

WARDOZER9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don't hate HP's business line if you hate HP because of their Presario line. Seriously, just don't unless you also want to hate all types of food just because you dislike one.

HP's business class equipment is different in every way than their craptacular consumer grade products including the fact they they have way better support for the business class products. It's the same with DELL's business grade line, I hate both companies consumer products and support but I swear by their business products.

The business class laptops from DELL and HP are top notch quality, plus they look quite elegant( HP's more so ). If you want something rock solid, good looking and with fantastic support, business grade products from about any company are something you can never go wrong with.

Don't think of a business grade laptop as only being for business people, there is a huge list of people here ( me included ) that use business class laptops just like anyone would any other laptop and we even use them for elegant looking mobile gamers. Since 2007 I've owned an NC8430, 8510P, 8510W, 8530W and 8540W of which I never had a single issue or failure from any of them and they all have 2nd homes now. Consumer laptops since 2007 were merely an MSI GX630 ( hinges broke and GPU fried ) ASUS UL50VT ( while a great laptop for endurance, it was far from "solid" and performance kinda sucked ) and a GateWay P-6860FX that while it never fried ( thankfully ) the hinges started getting a little loose after the first year and while the overall build quality was excellent for the price, it still had more give and flex than any business class laptop I've ever touched.

Not to mention you mentioned "PhotoShop" which is product that tends to prefer workstation class GPU's but hey, what do I know.

Jarhead and Mik1 like this.
  5. domoh

domoh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sager are build like tanks, I like them and want the exact one you listed as my next computer. They are pretty plain but I like that. Did you look at the np8278? It has the same specs but it is 8+ pounds.

Mik1 likes this.
  6. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I'd suggest one of the Clevos. P15xSM-A or a P17xSM-A. Both can be found with a 970M and decent SSD/HDD setups etc and will do as you please. The Pxx7SM-A models are flashy, and the Pxx0SM-A models are more business-like/sleek. Up to you which you prefer.

The P15xSM-A models are 15" and the P17xSM-A models are 17". You can find them from XoticPC or LPC-Digital with great prices.

The webcams are pretty nice on them; they can do 720p 60fps if you need it (at least my P370SM3 can)

Mik1 likes this.
  7. idiot101

idiot101 Down and Broken

Reputations:
    This is my opinion only.

I would recommend sticking to the best single GPU you can get your hands on (GTX 970M) with the fastest processor that is not overpriced (like the 4810MQ). Keep things simple. The 970M is brilliant for gaming at 1080p.

ASUS ROG G751 Series G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz) 16GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 3GB 17.3" Windows 8.1 64-Bit

Some of the best bang for buck laptops are the Clevo/MSI machines available from resellers like GentechPC, LPC-Digital, PowerNotebooks, Prostar, XoticPC, Mythlogic, etc. Contact them or get in touch with the resellers in the Sager and Clevo section of the forum. Run through the list.

Check for reviews and user feedback. I like the Asus laptops though there are horror stories in your region about them (like every OEM for some model or the other). Not faced these issues in the EU. They offer very decent cooling. But you can get better service from the resellers I have listed.

My 2 cents.

Mik1 likes this.
  8. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    There is a new relatively slim Sager coming out soon based on the Clevo P650Sx, priced starting right around your budget.

The Mythlogic Dia 1614 is based on the same Clevo model, available with i7-4710HQ and 970m starting at $1,575: MYTHLOGIC :: Dia 1614

As for Photoshop, I've found my SSD, 16GB RAM and i7 CPU make a bigger difference than the graphics card to improve performance when working with extremely large files.

Mik1 likes this.
  9. Mik1

Mik1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks everyone! I'll evaluate all of your suggestions and come back when/if I have anymore questions. What does everyone think about the Gigabyte P35W v3? I'm willing to go over budget if it is the most ideal. I like the look. Do they have a good reputation? Should I just wait for reviews?

That is a sexy laptop and I was able to customize something that I really like. Will keep this one in mind. Thanks.

10. domoh

domoh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think the reviews count a lot for products. I mean, ultimately it is your choice but reviews can help. See what people say about the feel of the keyboard and the way the screen looks etc.

Mik1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.