Please help me decide on gaming laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Ginerashon, Mar 22, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Thermal Grizzly Coconut for CPU + IC Diamond or GELID Extreme for GPU

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/thermal-compound-test.814741/

I don't think conduconaut is good for a person who is scared of overclock, nor do I think that it's needed since apparently conduconaut doesn't to much better if not at all better against good other tims.

also:
    there is no doubt that an LGA Intel® Core™ i7-7700K will out perform the Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ. The comparison being talked about here is Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ vs. Intel® Core™ i7-7820HK

7820HK is a slightly downclocked 7700K, in essence both CPU's are the same. Again in gaming it's identical, wheter it's the 7700HQ, 7700K, 7820HK. Interestingly enough on notebookchheck notebooks with a 7820HK outperform the 7700K clevo desktops for the most part because they are more focused on the GPU rather than CPU.

here:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Laptop.171212.0.html

On the evil within for instance, the Alienware notebook got rekt by the Asus GL 702 (which is a throttling mess btw) which had a 7700HQ.

Also on fifa the 8700 got stomped by Asus Intel Core i7-7820HK notebook.

Even on ark a 7700 desktop CPU lost to a 7700HQ due to crappy graphics. Again,CPU doens't matter, GPU does.

In Resident Evil 7 we got the most ridicolous benchmark, I don't know what acer predator that is, but whatever it is, it completely stomped every other notebook.

So don't listen to the LGA elitiests who keep on rambling how inferior 7700HQ CPU's are. Trust benchmarks instead. As Phoenix and I already said, if you don't do any very specific CPU things (such asemulation), you won't notice any differences at all. Save the money for a great headset or something else you can have use for.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2018
  3. raz8020

raz8020 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So many different opinions, and all of them are valid!

I agree with Falkentine on:

7700HQ does take away some of the gt73vr/75vr advantages (lack of OC-ability and the separate heatsink design for better CPU cooling in combined high loads, is wasted with 7700HQ).

There is also the impression that a 7700HQ gives on a premium DTR laptop, it's like a sport car with an under-powered engine for it's class and an auto transmission, but considering that gaming would be the equivalent of transportation from point A to point B and racing would be the OC and bench competitions, It will still get the first job done as good as the more powerful one, but won't be as fast in the circuit (just to make another parallel, consider the traffic rules as gaming rules, although you have a speed demon, you won't use it at it's max potential in traffic or on most public roads, but there some exceptions like on the highways).

A GT72VR would make more sense if you don't need a gtx 1080 and if the price difference is considerably lower (compared to gt73vr 7re) to reflect the lack of some features (no MUX switch, fewer storage options, the cooling system is a bit weaker) compared to gt73vr's equivalent in hardware.

I also agree with Danishblunt's post (with a small addition so it doesn't contradict Papusan's and Falkentyne's posts, regarding the importance of the CPU power in some games):

There are some games that do take advantage of a more powerful CPU, but they are the exception and yes, in some titles your framerate (especially the min) will be lower in some scenes (which could impact more or less the gameplay fluidity, but I wouldn't go as far to say that, this would be a common scenario).

If I remember correctly, there are under 10 titles that can efficiently use more than 4 cores (so even HT is not an absolute must, that is if we consider the notebook as mostly a gaming console replacement and don't expect to do other relatively intensive CPU tasks while gaming, for eg. streaming) and the list of CPU intensive games (that are relatively new, because some of the older ones won't use the GPU to it's max potential, but they might use the CPU to it's max if there is no FPS limit) that do have a considerable increase in FPS with higher clocks, is quite short.

An OC-able CPU can have an advantage if you aim for 120 FPS gaming in some titles, which makes it a perfect combo with 120Hz screens, but this doesn't change the fact that, most titles are more GPU dependent and most of the GPU bound titles don't have a considerable increase in FPS even with a high OC, but the FPS can be more constant, which could make a difference in some CPU intensive scenes.

Regarding future-proofness, new titles could take better advantage of more CPU cores and higher clocks, but will surely benefit the most from better GPUs, so, unlike desktop PCs, most laptops aren't CPU or/and GPU upgrade-able, and the component that will be obsolete the fastest, will be the GPU, while the CPU can be sufficient for maybe 4+ generations if you could upgrade your GPU.
    To put things in another way, once the gtx 1080 or gtx 1070 is considered only mid range in the sys req for the new titles, the difference (in gaming) between 7700HQ and 7820Hk or 7700K will be even smaller or inexistent, because, you will be even more GPU limited (on a desktop for eg. you only need to slap a new GPU and you are good for another 1-2 years, after that you upgrade the GPU again and ... you get the idea).

Theoretically, the mxm GPU in the msi GT series (or clevo socketed systems) is upgrade-able, but the chances that the next mxm gpu is compatible (in form or power delivery), are not too great (also, it might not be easily obtainable).

A 7700hq is sufficient for your current requirements, but you might want to consider another perspective in which you might change you stance towards OC in the future or you might want to use it for some productivity type tasks that can really take advantage of more cores or/and higher clocks.

Clevo LGA notebooks (you can buy them with an i5 8400 6 Core CPU if you mainly use it for gaming) can offer you the choice to upgrade to an unlocked CPU if you will need it in the future, but they do have some cons (if you are not an "only performance matters" guy) compared to the msi GT73/GT75VR:

-the keyboard is not that great,

- the screen options are not as well balanced as the one on the gt73/75vr (good blacks and contrast, high color gamut coverage and fast response time),

-there are the trials (repaste, delidd and probably HS lapping) one must face to keep the temperatures under control if he buys the system with an unlocked CPU and wants a relatively moderate to high 24/7 stable OC with raised limits, that is if he doesn't buy from a reseller that fixes those issues so the user doesn't need to), the same is true for the gt73/75vr if you raise the limits, but if you only want a moderate OC within default limits, you don't need to improve the cooling (although, you might get some core temp differences in high loads).

Clevo LGA DTRs have a huge advantage in multicore performance (compared to current MSI notebooks and all other kaby lake equiped notebooks) due to coffee lake CPUs with 50% more cores, but in gaming they offer ~ same performance as those equipped with kaby lake (with few exeptions in some dx 12 titles).

4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @raz8020
    i'm going to leave this out here. The rest of you can choose and buy what you want. Because TBH i'm tired of working my butt off and not getting any appreciation, and fighting against people who lie, scam and cheat. People don't like busting their behinids, putting tons of work into hacking, cracking, researching, and getting no appreciation from anyone, simply because they are not "rich", or "in the group" or don't have eye turning top of the line hardware, or aren't skilled enough to use Linux and reverse engineer encrypted firmwares:

Dark Souls 1, crystal caves, DSFIX with increased view range.

3.5 ghz (= 7700HQ + 100 mhz--done on "stock" 7820HK): 44 FPS.

4.5 ghz (= 7820HK decent overclock): 54 FPS.

This is a SIX YEAR OLD game where the GPU isn't even at 50% usage.
    44 FPS to 54 FPS is a massive improvement.

My 7 year old overclocked 2600K was putting out more FPS than a 7700HQ notebook.

Minimum framerates are important for game enjoyment. Who cares about 300 fps vs 400 fps? Airforce pilots can't tell more than <240 FPS of movement (2.5 ms, folks in screen persistence times. 2.5ms...)and a competitive gamer's reaction time is about 160ms, with 220ms being the norm. Done talking. enjoy yourselves.

5. Ginerashon

Ginerashon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yikes yikes. I hope I didn't offend anyone. I'm merely trying to weigh my options to best figure this out for myself. I was curious about the eco mode that turns onboard graphics on instead of the 1080, does that help at all for just watching movies on the go? Or is the battery still just going to be sub 2hrs no matter what?

6. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    It's not eco mode, it's the mux switch. Yeah the battery life increases by a lot. Also the 7700HQ can get undervolted quite significantly so batterylife will be even better. On my undervolted 6700HQ with intel graphics my batterylife is around 4 - 5 hours depending on my load, basic websurfing etc.

Ultra Male likes this.
  7. Ginerashon

Reputations:
    @Danishblunt @Falkentyne @Phoenix @Donald@HIDevolution

I finally placed my order with HIDevolution just now. Thank you everyone and especially to those mentioned above for answering all my questions here and in other threads as well. I really appreciate it and really have enjoyed my time reading and browsing around these forums. :)

Custom Built MSI GT75VR 7RF Titan Pro-202 17.3" w/ G-Sync nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
    Holiday Game Bundle>>>GT Battlepack, Lucky Edge of the Cup, Gaming Mousepad, Gaming Headset, Gaming Sticker
    LCD Panel>>>17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) Anti-Glare Wide View Angle 120Hz~3ms 94% NTSC TN Matte LCD w/ G-Sync Technology
    Display Warranty>>>30 Days Zero Defective Pixel Warranty (perfect panel guarantee)
    Video Card>>>NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 w/ 8GB GDDR5X
    Processor>>>>7th Generation Intel Core i7-7820HK Quad Core Processor, 2.9 GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.9GHz), 8MB Smart Cache
    Thermal Interface Materials>>>>Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on CPU, Gelid GC Extreme on GPU, and Stock thermal pads – installed by HIDevolution
    Memory>>>16GB Dual Channel DDR4/2400MHz (2 x 8GB) - installed by HIDevolution
    M.2 PCIe / SATA Slot 1 >>>Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D-VNAND SSD - Up to 3,200 MB/s Read-1,900 MB/s Write
    2.5" HDD/SSD Bay>>>1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
    Wireless Cards>>>Killer™ Wireless-AC N1535 802.11 ac/a/g/n 2x2 NGFF w/ Bluetooth 4.1

8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    awesome1! congrats! Lemme know when you get it if you want me to tweak it for you

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  9. Ginerashon

Reputations:
    @Phoenix

Definitely, would very much appreciate it. I'll tag you when I get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.