PLEASE HELP! CLEVO P870DM2/DM3 GPU UPGRADE FROM GTX 1070 TO RTX 2080 (POSSIBLE PROBLEMS)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by SeaFoXXX, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You could solder in a replacement (rated the exact same for voltage and capacitance) and it should work if it's the swollen cap.

2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think you missed the part about it being 240W instead of 330W as indicated by the stamping inside the plastic housing. The fact that the cap is swollen just adds insult to buying something and it not working properly.

3. ViktorV

ViktorV Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [QUOTE = "Tech Junky, post: 11077337, member: 733278"] Я думаю, вы пропустили часть о том, что это 240 Вт вместо 330 Вт, о чем свидетельствует штамп внутри пластикового корпуса. То, что колпачок вздулся, только добавляет оскорбления покупке чего-то, а оно работает некорректно. [/ QUOTE]
    No, I did not miss the fact that there was an inscription of 240 watts on the case, but this inscription does not mean anything, since 330 watt power supplies are produced in such perforated cases, and 230 watt power supplies are produced in other cases in smooth ones.

4. ERROR_404

ERROR_404 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    uhm i may be wrong but my clevo p870km1 was shipped with 2 power bricks á 240W + a power adapter.
    Theres also a clevo iteration sold with 2x 330W + the fork adapter.

it would seem you ran this system with a single 240W power brick before on your dm version, then upgraded to a single 330W power brick. This however will not do.

With a 2080 RTX you should be going for 2x 330W or at least a 2x 240W kit cuz the fluctuations of power draw will most likely cause a short spike at some point down the road.
    Thats why clevo doesnt advise running such machines off of one single power brick and they also HEAVILY DISCOURAGE = Void Warranty any mixings 240W+330W power intake combinations.

The right combination should be:
    2x 330W Power Adapter AC + Power Converter Box AC 200 for CLEVO Laptops
    http://lps-gopower.com/lps-ac-adapt...er-msi-ac200-power-converter-box-p-21573.html

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's the one, and yes I'd recommend upping your power.