Please help - best set up for HD video editing on X220?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Gally, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ekam

ekam Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. Gally

Gally Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks again for all the advice. I really appreciate it

I'm definitely open to other laptop suggestions. It just seemed that when I posted on the main forum for recommendations for ultraportables, I was pointed several times to the Lenovo X220.

I currently have a gaming laptop that does a pretty decent job of editing but it's a beast, Asus G50-VT. It weighs over 8 pounds with the battery and charger. I'm looking for something that's super light for when I travel. When I'm at home, I'll probably use my gaming laptop to edit with.

3. floz23

floz23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My 2 cents: the IPS screen on the x220, while having excellent gamma tracking, viewing angles and backlight evenness, has a barely acceptable color gamut for critical color work.

the i7 x220 is about half as powerful as a i7 920, overclocked to 3.8ghz. That's quite an accomplishment for a laptop of this size.

I edit video weekly on this machine, with an external monitor, since 1366x768 is neigh impossible to edit on :p

get 8gb of ram, and throw in like a 300gb SSD, and get the ips screen.

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Show me a laptop that's better for the same price?

5. Colonel O'Neill

Colonel O'Neill Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You'll probably want dual-channel, faster RAM to aid that integrated chipset. Depends how much your editing software uses the GPU, if it supports the HD3000 at all.

6. MAA83

MAA83 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The X220 is in my opinion the best ultra portable on the market hands down. And if you wanted only an ultra portable to do basic productivity work and general tasks with I would go with it. But portable video editing, in a slim form factor, is just one of those difficult combo's to find - like an ultra portable gaming machine or something similar.

I'm not familiar with ultra slims with discrete graphics options because I usually don't look for or research discreet graphics options since I have no use for it - but I can say from personal experience that the Vaio S is a great ultraportable that doesn't hurt your wallet as bad as the Vaio Z and it can be configured with an i5 2430 or i7 2640, a 13.3" 1600x900 display, and AMD/ATI Radeon 6630M/1GB gpu. It's pricey, but most machines that fill out two often opposing tasks (portability and power) often are. My dad just picked one up for about 1200 as configured, with a few extra options.

I never had an Asus Laptop but was/am a big fan of EeePC's; none the less if you're comfortable with Asus, the the Asus ZenBook UX31E also has a higher res screen in 13.3" size, a decent battery life, but no discrete graphics. It also comes standard with an SSD and USB 3.0.

I suggest you prioritize Screen Size/Resolution, Battery Life, and discrete graphics, while also paying attention to weight. As long as you stick to a 14 inch screen or smaller, dimensions should be unimportant - most of those laptops will fit into a backpack or something of the sort easily - weight is where it hurts, especially when you're walking! Try to keep under 5 lbs/2.4 kg. Go through the various manufacturers and brands, NBR has a nice list, and you'll find there are numerous alternatives; Asus, Acer, MSI, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Panasonic, Dell/HP - although their business class offerings will be similar to Lenovo.

Check it out!

7. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would argue it's the best notebook being sold right now when you consider all the factors. It's light and portable. It's durable. It's got a great screen and keyboard. It can have two hard drives with one being a speedy SSD for the boot drive. Probably the one downside is the touchpad. If you're a stick person it's a no brainer, but if you don't like the stick, it could be problematic.

Some might wish for a bit more resolution, but I would argue the difference between HD and HD+ is so small, it's hardly worth mentioning. Most of the extra space is on the sides, which has less value. You'd have to go up to SXGA or SXGA+ before I'd be more interested. You won't see it on a sun 15" notebook outside of the Z, which costs 3x as much.

8. themouse

themouse Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As an X220T owner, I REALLY wish they went with a 16:10 screen. Even for video editing, it would be helpful to have controls visible with the video.

9. jwolf7722

jwolf7722 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agree but I think this would call for a 13in machine. The X220 or X220T is perfect besides the screen size which is difficult to control since portability is of concern. Edited**-The touchpad is horrible but anyone who owns a thinkpad probably never uses the touchpad anyways.

10. Gally

Gally Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you happen to have a link to that list? Thanks!

Is the concern over screen resolution just that a higher resolution will show me more windows and editing options? Because I don't really care too much about color. The laptop is for field use. I can always attach it to an external monitor if/when I need to color correct and things like that.

I've lived with a very heavy laptop for 3 years so I'm probably biased but for me, one of the biggest usability issues I have is portability, especially if I'm going to be carrying it for 3 months.

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.