Playing games without the CD?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by quesoyyo, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quesoyyo

quesoyyo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi again,
    i was just wondering if there's any way of playing games without the CD in the drive. I'm currently playing Cossacks:The Art Of War and since i'll be traveling I wouldn't like to carry a bunch of CDs around with me. I know the Mac OS have a function called "disk image" it just copied the whole CD onto your drive and you can access it from there without any problems. I am using WinXP though, and have not heard about that function. Does anybody know about it or any alternatives?
    thanks.

HP Compaq nx7010, 512 RAM, PM 1.5 Ghz, 64 MB ATI 9200, 40 GB 4200 rpm, WSXGA (1680x1050)

2. civbat

civbat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Try Googling the following:

1) Disk Dump and Daemon Tools
    2) CloneCD
    3) Alcohol 120%

3. Robokam

Robokam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Try www.gamecopyworld.com

4. Little_Midget

Little_Midget Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can easily find and download cracks from the net. They let you play the game without the CD. For most you just download them, unzip 'em, and replace the game icon in the main folder with the one you got from unzipping the file. BUT, cracks are illegal if you don't own the game, cause then you could borrow a game from a friend, crack it, and return it.

Good things come in small packages.

5. lewdvig

lewdvig Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, and www.gamecopyworld.com is the best place to find No CD patches.

6. Underpantman

Underpantman Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeay game fixes are a good way, other wise I use Alcohol 120%. Its a really good copy and image tool. That is it takes an image of the disk, and then mounts it on a virtal drive. I used it for my orginal real copy of Far Cry so that I did have to keep getting the disk out etc. This method also means that you can keep upto date with game patches.
    a

7. Big Calhoun

Big Calhoun Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I used the GameCopy site this weekend, excellent resource. I don't support piracy, but I don't support some of the copy protection schemes used by the publishers. Especially when these games are being played on laptops, why should I spend $49 for a game to spend $200 later on a new CD drive b/c I open and close the door too much? Ridiculous. Thanks for the site!!

8. Scalded Ape

Scalded Ape Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not to mention if you take the drive out to put some other modular thing in like a battery or extra hard drive. I may get a secondary modular battery and leave the CD drive home on long trips. I rarely use them anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.