Pictures of X200AFFS-X200 equipped with Flexview screen

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by zephir, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erik

erik modifier

Reputations:
    the SXGA+ panel is AFFS where the WXGA panel is AFFS+.   the WXGA panel is better but not by a noticeable amount.

building an X61/s with AFFS is a HUGE endeavor and requires a lot of cutting, taping, fabrication, and a custom BIOS.   building an X200/X201/i/s with AFFS+ is a matter of installing different parts.   given the choice, i would go with the X200 unless you have the time and resources to build the X61.

2. Harris_M

Harris_M Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Oh I am well aware of the effort involved in that sort of modification, thanks to you of course. But if I attempt to do that it will be on a X61t. Now you might ask why not get it with the SXGA+ in the first place and the answer would be "Because there aren't any on eBay UK..."

3. erik

erik modifier

Reputations:
    that mod would be easy.   depending on the model you start with, you may just need the panel and bezel.

4. zephir

zephir Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just want to chime in that I also used a X61T before, and in portrait mode you can read a pdf document at 100% zoom, which is almost like read from a paper :D The high DPI also adds to the sharpness of the document and makes it easier to read.
    In landscape mode I can put two documents side by side at around 80% zoom, which is still readable.
    Overall, it's perfect for productivity work. Highly recommended. And as erik said, it's a manageable mod too.

5. Harris_M

Harris_M Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info guys, it seems like the ideal machine for my needs but there is that LE1700 that has drawn my attention. Pretty hard to get one of these for less than 600GBP but we'll see, at least the prices of the X61T keep going down and there are always a few SXGA+ displays China-side waiting to be transplanated... :D

As an update to my mod I have to say that I have NEVER EVER seen such deep and black blacks in a display before, I can only imagine how brilliant IPS panels must be... I don't know how the matte versions of the HV121WX4 look but you won't regret having the glossy version if you decide on that one.

6. handai

handai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did it. My X201 finally has AFFS screen. I replaced the screen, inverter, and cable. Not as easy as I thought but I am happy with the result

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. NeeGo

NeeGo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Congrats handai that looks really superb! This gives hope to all of us with LED screen :D !

8. handai

handai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This the back of original LED screen. I still hope that I can upgrade to LED AFFS instead

[​IMG]

9. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Very nicely done. Looks like you got the matte version?

10. erik

erik modifier

Reputations:
    @handai - great job!   glad that parts list worked out. ;) :D

LED AFFS+ is possible but requires soldering wires to jump the LVDS cable to various locations on the LCD's main board.   it's up there in difficulty with the X61 mod.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.