Pic of GTX 480M + 3DM06 Test

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by kaltmond, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    Wow the fermi is a bigger failure than I anticipated. I hoped it would best the 5870 by 20-30% but a paltry 10% overall is a joke given the price and tdp. I doubt it will oc very well either so when taking overclocks into consideration, 5870 should remain the clear winner. I think fermi will shine when the die is shrunk. This first iteration is a disappointment.

2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It is actually what some of us expected and predicted in the previous threads. It's not necessary that Mobile Fermi is a failure, it's that Fermi architecture overall has a very low performance per watt. A die-shrink won't solve the problem, as ATI can also die-shrink and it will die-shrink. Hopefully, Nvidia will revise the current architecture and will be able to improve performance per watt to bring it in line with what ATI is offering, otherwise their future is not very bright.
    Too bad for PhysX, I kinda liked it.

EDIT: 84C on load is not bad... I get 84C maximum now in gaming, I used to get 92C but I've reapplied the paste and redone the thermal pad mod I've learned from Soviet :D, but with better thermal pads.

3. LedCop

LedCop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sweet. Now I don't have to agonize myself deciding between the W870CU with 5870 or W880CU with GTX 480M.

4. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    i'll take that bet joker.
    before it's over with, the 480 will pretty much smoke the 5870 at everything.
    all with smoother game play, better min fps and and better over clocks and far less microstuttering.:)

5. fzhfzh

fzhfzh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    84C is not bad at all for gaming, if it's on stock paste, applying a cooling paste mod could easily lower it by 5-10C depending on how bad the person applied the stock paste.

Even 10% performance improvement is quite enough, I actually expected 480M to have lower performance than 5870MR for non-tessellation enabled games since it's weaker for pixel fill. The tessellation enabled games are what matters really, vantage will be outdated anyways just like how 06 is obsolete now, the new standard would have tessellation included.

6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am sorry to say, but as long as most games are made for consoles (and they are) ... tessellation will not be that important. This is why overall performance improvement, including for DX 9.0 games is still important. When the new generation of consoles will come out, let's say 2-3 years from now, then tessellation will be in every game :). But by then, most of us would have already changed/upgraded our notebooks.

7. fzhfzh

fzhfzh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Talking about console games, there's not a single console game that will ever pose a problem for 5870MR or 480M, heck, even weaker cards have no problem with them. The games with problem playing right now are, and will be those with heavy tessellation, and that's where 480M shines.

However, true that the price is ridiculous, hope that nvidia will realise their stupidity in their pricing and reduce their prices before the release.

8. Larry@LPC-Digital

Larry@LPC-Digital Company Representative

Reputations:
    I would wait till someone here has the card and knows what to do with it before making final judgments on it. Wouldn't you say that is fair...:)

9. Phinagle

Phinagle Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Here's the GPU Nvidia should have used for the GTX 480M

[​IMG]

[Source: EXPreview]

If it's real that is. At a rumored 130W TDP it's looks much more performance/watt efficient.

10. Mandrake

Mandrake Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    318W max on a single 480M system? How the heck are they going to get two to work?

I have a hard time believe that in the mobile world. I see many power supplies randomly shutting off with this one. Systems shutting down = very choppy game play. ;)