Photoshop/Gaming Powerhouse Needed; Budget $5k-$10k

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by C4talyst, Apr 5, 2019.

1. C4talyst

C4talyst Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm a full-time photographer and am in the process of evolving into a national media production company. I need a laptop that will primarily crunch through large RAW files in Photoshop. I also play the game Rust, which is among the most-demanding titles today in terms of the need for CPU/RAM and graphics processing power.

I'm currently on a 3-year-old Alienware 18 with an Intel I7-4910MQ processor at 2.9 Ghz, 32GB of RAM, and a 512GB M2 SSD coupled with a 1TB 7200RPM storage drive. This Alienware has two GeForce GTX 970m graphics cards. I like the large size and the keyboard that includes a separate numeric keypad (I use an XPS 15 for travel). I do not like my 1920x1080 display. The 4k display on the XPS 15 is stunning for processing my images.

I've been looking at Alienware 17 laptops, and Dell Precision Mobile Workstations. I want a 17+ inch screen. I don't care about battery life, portability, style or cost. I want the best machine for handling both Photoshop and Rust. I'm interested in any thoughts on whether the more expensive Quadro graphics cards in the Precision laptops can be configured to benefit me in terms of Photoshop processing, and if they are worth the extreme cost.

Budget: $5,000-$10,000

2. man4mopar

man4mopar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I haven't looked to see if anything has changed with Photoshop and displaying 10 bit per color. Photoshop likely still only uses openGL requiring a work station video card.
    Only a few laptops from what I can tell have 10bit displays built in. Though if you have a work station video card you can always display on a 10bit external monitor.
    8bit is fully capable of 100%sRGB which has been working for myself a semi-pro photographer. I do large format prints from a Canon Pro-4000.

Here is a site that tests work station cards and gaming cards, different cpus etc with photoshop and other programs. I find it useful to spec a machine. https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php?filter[]=Photoshop

3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Take a look at either the Clevo P775TM1 or MSI WT75. Both have wide gamut 4k display options. They are above the Dell Precision 7730 / HP Zbook 17 G5 / Lenovo P72 due to the use of desktop processors.

4. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I would go for a thinkpad p72

A xeon CPU
    And a panasonic uhd screen

It is the ultimate for what you are looking for

A clevo has a gamer screen
    Definitely usable but not the ultimate

The Panasonic has 600 nits 200 percent adobe run etc it is exactly marketed for Photoshop and I believe Xeon cpus can be had that are better than desktop 9 series anyway but if not it's not a big deal

5. binchunsu

binchunsu Newbie

Reputations:
    Don't get the mobile Quadro graphics cards they aren't available in Turing architecture yet so performance will be worse. Clevo P775TM1-G 100%, the only other laptop with desktop CPU is the Alienware Area-51m but it's poorly cooled. Eurocom lets you configure the laptop with a Quadro card if you really want to.

6. amirbahalegharn

amirbahalegharn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    buy p775tm with 9900K + quadro p5200 16GB + 64GB 3000mhz + 1TB nvme m.2 ssd + 4TB hard + 4K display :
    https://www.cssbuy.com/item-589584370880.html
    (package 6 : 27000yuan =~$ 4141.10 which there will be additional costs such as their commission (6-8% * [item fee+shipping fee] ) ,so less than 5000$ but you will also pay import tax/vat of your country )
    This is the ultimate laptop. laterو you can upgrade the gpu to P6000 or highest quadro MXM version available

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  7. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't know whether another way forward would be to build a high end desktop, which could use even more powerful chips than the i9-9900K at considerably lower cost (and upgrading would be considerably easier and cheaper). It sounds like you're already using a different laptop for travel, so perhaps this would be an option.

If not, I would normally recommend one of the classic workstation laptops -- Dell 7730, Lenovo P72, or HP ZBook 17 G5. But you're at least talking like it's possible that these machines would not be fast enough for you, in which case you're looking at something like the Clevo 870 or 775 series. Given what you've said, you'd be better off IMO contacting the likes of Eurocom or HIDevolution (Donald@HIDevolution maintains a consistent presence on this board) and work through your needs directly with them.

8. AdamSupra

AdamSupra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was in the same boat as you recently as I am a pro photog and have a production company. I researched for months and finally decided on the Clevo 775 from HID and went through @Donald@HIDevolution. His responsiveness was great and currently have the system in process of building. If you have any question regarding what I went with feel free to message me.

kojack likes this.
  9. GizmoSlip

GizmoSlip Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I believe the Area 51M will much better cooled compared between those two. The p870tmr, is the route you want to go for max cooling.

Papusan likes this.