Performance notebook for Video/Photo Editing (1080p)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by davebugyi, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davebugyi

davebugyi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello People

I am asking your help to point me out which "gaming" notebook should I purchase:

1) What is your budget?
    Under 1300 Eur ($1500 cca)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen or Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    Slovakia, no other options

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: none preferred
    b. Dislike: Asus (expect G series)

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    I will use it mainly for Adobe PS CS6, After Effects CS6, Premiere Pro CS6 [1080p stuff] and some Battlefield 3/ Skyrim playing.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Travelling, but not an issue.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Online FPS and RPG (no MMORPG)

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    1 hour is enough.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online is OK.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Without OS, I still have my genuine Win 7 64bit Home Premium Install Disc [no OEM]

Screen Specifics
    1920x1080 FHD, Anti-glare

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
    Matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not really, but should not look like a desk.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    ASAP (needed for work).

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    2 years, more the better.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    500-1000 GB, I have an SSD already

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    Not really, only USB STicks, External HDDs I use.

I will use it mainly for Adobe PS CS6, After Effects CS6, Premiere Pro CS6 [1080p stuff] and some Battlefield 3/ Skyrim playing.
    Here are the three competitiors:

MSI
    Lenovo
    ASUS

Since the main priority is for Video Editing, i think the better choice would the GT670MX, since it has more CUDA cores, and the programs does not take advantage of SLI anyway.

The RAM & HDD does not matter in the offers, since I have already an Intel SSD (180GB) & Corsair Vengeance RAM (2x4 GB kit)

Thank you in advance!

2. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    If it falls into your budget, it does in the US, but I don't know in slovakia, check the Thinkpad W530, you'll get much better performance compared to something like a Y500 in photoshop and such.

3. davebugyi

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, the cheapest config I could find was + 800 Euros compared to the MSI, which is out of budget (2098 EUR the price of it).

Moreover, it only comes with the K1000M, which according to the the reviews/benchmarks I found is on par with the 670MX in terms of performance in the Adobe programs.

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    What are the prices for gaming notebooks with the 670M in your country? The 670M is basically an overclocked 570M, so it should still retain the CUDA/OpenCL/OpenGL capabilities of the 5xxM series of GPU and thus should be good for CS6 stuff. Or what about Radeon-based gaming laptops? Those would be even better and perhaps less expensive (you could probably get a 7970M in your budget? I think that the MSi GX60 would be good).

5. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Premier for windows does not have the OpenCL support until the next update where CUDA takes a complete back seat.

The next update to Adobe Creative suite will have little to no CUDA support as Premier is the last application to support it in the Mercury Render engine, and I can confirm the new OpenCL MRE is about 45% faster than the current CUDA enabled iteration which may affect your buying decisions if you plan to upgrade software soon.

debatable the 5xxm still had their OpenCL support but it was not exactly fast either, it is just the 6xxm and 7xxm are much worse, Personally I cant stand the 580m in Photoshop or AI, just because it is still half as fast as a midrange pro card or good Radeon

6. niffcreature

niffcreature ex computer dyke

Reputations:
    Wait, why are we talking about the 670m if the k1000m is on par with the 670mx (not that it is necessarily)?

Hmm. if you're going to get a business workstation for the graphics I don't think theres much point in paying the Lenovo premium. Dell Precision and HP Elitebooks tend to be a good bit cheaper with the same general specs. Could be wrong though I haven't really been looking at laptops lately. The dell would be the Precision m4700 and the Elitebook would be the 8570w(?)
    Also, Lenovo 15.6" workstations don't usually use upgradeable MXM graphics like the other 2 brands, not that you care about that...

7. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    Right, in North America, the W530 is usually cheaper, but it could very well be the other way around in Europe.

8. davebugyi

Reputations:
    Wow, I missed this part of information, if it is CUDA is not really needed anymore for better performance, then I am seriously will rethink the whole GPU thing, since gaming it is just secondary.
    Thank you for the information.

Yes, I saw the price differences, and the K2000M variants have even more "jaw-dropping" prices.

9. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, CUDA only exists in the CS6 suite within Adobe Premier, and will be negated in the 6.5/7 update this year as we are all finalizing testing. CUDA is a dead technology in almost all Pro design apps now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.