Perfect Disk - SSD/HDD optimization

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by QuillP, Jul 27, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup, I had the same problem with the 4x SATA RAID0, the read speed topped out at just under 1700MB/sec due to the chipset, instead of the 2200MB/sec theoretical unlimited Read speed.

Hopefully this throughput limitation for 2x-3x RAID0 PCIEx4 is going away in the 3xx series motherboard chipset, waiting for more details to emerge as they get closer to release.

2. QuillP

QuillP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In my case, I prefer to use only 1 960 pro x1tb (ahci) instead of a Raid, because the actual performance of single 960 is almost the same as with Raid0. I think the Raid consumes a little more cpu (do not confirm it, but I think it is). Also, I do not need the benefit of a 2tb partition. I think I can settle with 3500mb of reading and 2200 of writing hehehe. That's enough for now.

hmscott likes this.
  3. QuillP

Reputations:
    Anyone know what is the fastest and easiest way to change from ahci to raid in Windows 10? I started in safe mode and changed to raid. The last time I tried it did not work, I think something changed in the last update of Windows.

4. hmscott

Reputations:
    I agree, practically speaking it's better to not RAID the NVME SSD's, as there are quickly diminishing returns due to the chipset limitations.

Before we found out about this limitation we were hoping for 6GB/sec 2x RAID0's... sigh.

What about 12GB/sec 4x RAID0... it could happen :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So, what's wrong with Default Windows 4k alignment? I mean with 64k block size you'd be wasting lot of space for smaller files though.

hmscott likes this.
  6. QuillP

Reputations:
    nothing bad. I was just testing the ssd performance. In raid0 with strip size 128k and block size 64k increases reading and writing performance. I wanted to know if the ssd in Ahci was the same result...

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    There are some applications where tuning the stripe size to the access and data flow makes a big enough difference to put in the effort to test and tune - especially if you are rolling out 10's, 100's, and more storage devices :)

For laptops and desktops with widely varying demands, I usually tune for the storage size vs cluster size vs stripe size.

But even then it's usually a small gain, but fun to do :)

Vasudev likes this.
  8. QuillP

Reputations:
    Sure, the gain is always small in home desktop or laptop. At my job, we use big servers with storage devices where fine tunning is necessary and makes a big difference.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Exactly my point, just syncing up for future reference :)

Vasudev likes this.
  10. QuillP

Reputations:
    Hey @hmscott, OptiWrite and auto-optimization options actually do something? I meand Do you see any long or short term benefit?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    hmscott likes this.