Perfect Disk - SSD/HDD optimization

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by QuillP, Jul 27, 2017.

1. QuillP

QuillP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I will try and then publish the result. With 2x 960 Pro in Raid0, did not "perceive" a performance difference vs 1 single 960 pro.

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Depends on how your PCIE lanes are wired, you might be bandwidth limited, you might not be seeing the full potential performance of your 2x RAID0. Ignoring human perceptions, what did the benchmarks show?

Also, you've discovered a little known fact. PCIE NVME drives are a waste of money for the most part, and it's better to invest in SATA storage for a personal desktop or laptop.

As you said there wasn't a perceived speed improvement when logically there should be.

Most operations only require a small amount of disk IO, everything else takes up a lot more time. Improving the time spent on disk IO by 1/2, won't show up as a 2x improvement overall, that improvement is drown out by the much longer time spent doing the rest of the task.

When going from a 50MB/sec HDD to a 500MB/sec SATA SSD you save a huge chunk of time off the wall clock, a large enough amount of time to be "perceptible" even within the mix of doing other things to complete a task.

But, going from 500MB/sec to 1500MB/sec won't. Even though logically it's slicing off 2/3 the time to do a transfer, the time saved will be minuscule next to the time of other operations, and the wall time includes all operations.

There are some things that a PCIE NVME SSD shine for, but most people will only have fleeting experience with them. If your specialized workflow needs this speed up, then you must have it, but most people don't need it.

It's better to pay 1/2 the cost for storage and get SATA SSD's, than spend a premium for high speed storage that most people will never need.

4. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Gotcha. To clarify, I'm talking about the window snip "mode" of the snipping too you're already using. You can do a free form snip, a rectangular snip (the default), or a window snip (which is a rectangular snip that automatically grabs the full app window).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    It comes down to the sterile effect of capturing a dialog or window isolated from the environment it occupies space with.

I like the raw feel from capturing other behind the dialog info, and side by side dialogs and Windows all in one shot.

Having done *lots* of sterile capture of dialogs and Windows for documentation over the years, I associate one with the other.

By grabbing a shot hovering over the area of interest, while capturing some of the environment, helps me convey the context along with the focus of the capture.

It's been a long time, but you've reminded me exactly why I don't use the isolated capture, it breaks when trying to get popups over dialogs or Windows, as @QuillP needed to capture.

There were other such state information that was isolated and grabbed instead of the overall image I needed to grab; I recall fighting with it at one point.

Like I said, it's been a while, but that is how I recall why I ended up doing it the way I do it now. Even Snipping Tool has such limitations, and I use PrtScn with MSPaint that I then use Snipping Tool to grab the area I want to show.

So far it's worked well, and have never had a single complaint that what I provided has been confusing or inadequate to convey the information or direction I am giving.

alexhawker likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @QuillP: Did you try Samsung NVMe driver in AHCI mode instead of RAID?

hmscott likes this.
  7. QuillP

Reputations:
    Yes, I prefer mod AHCI because I can check the ssd status and use Samsung Magician to update the firmware. Now, i converted the block size to 64k (from the Windows primary partition) to test the performance.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Did your RAID0 performance scale 2x from single SSD throughput? Or, was it limited by the chipset to something less than 2x?

A simultaneous transfer test against both SSD's would be interesting too, to see if the throughput is limited through the chipset.

9. QuillP

Reputations:
    Yes, I tried them. 2x 960 pro. 3.0x4. The result is impressive in the benchmark, but no difference in real usage. Only increases writing performance. The reading performance is equal to that of 1 960 Pro (I think that because the reading performance of the 960 pro already reaches the limit of pcie 3.0x4). The only real gain is that you have a single 2tb drive.

I now have to try a raid0 with 2 Samsung pm961 x 1tb. (Is like 960 Evo). This weekend, I'll try to create a raid with these.

I found a benchmark that I did to a Raid0 of 960 pro 1tb x2

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  10. QuillP

Reputations:
    AOMEI Partition Assistant it is very useful. I always use it for everything else.

hmscott likes this.