Penryn model names revealed!

Discussion in 'Press Releases and Announcements' started by Jayayess1190, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. odin243

odin243 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, I'm sorry, I know you said it was a die shrink (and yes Vivek I did read that before I posted ;) ). In fact, when you posted "effectively making it a microarchitecture," I did indeed take that to mean you were saying it was it's own microarchitecture, as opposed to a codename for an implementation of the Core microarchitecture. I see now that's not what you were saying, and I apologize for any confusion. When you posted after my post (copied and emphasized below) without correcting it, I misunderstood you to mean you didn't agree.

2. JM

JM Mr. Misanthrope NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    No problem.

It'd be quite the feat for Intel, to have created a new microarchitecture in such a sort amount of time, indeed.

;)

3. Laxislife1265

Laxislife1265 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Gahh im so confused... am i going to be able to just stick a T8300 in my soon to be M17X?

4. odin243

odin243 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Last I heard, it's maybe, maybe not. Depends on if the voltage requirements match, I think.

5. Redline

Redline Notebook Prophet NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Its the second lowest model in the Penryn line, of course it will work. You may need to update the bios though. The M17X should be able to handle every chip in the Penryn series, all the way up to the Core 2 Extreme chips.

6. odin243

odin243 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I haven't really been following Penryn, but has this been discounted yet?

7. Laxislife1265

Reputations:
    i dont think so but all ive been doing today is fretting over the penryn series and so far i guess ive found my answer. Im just gonna get a **** merom C2D then throw in a t9300 when it comes out

8. Redline

Redline Notebook Prophet NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I've actually not seen that one before. Interesting, but I'm not convinced yet. Did they not do essentially the same thing with Merom and Santa Rosa?

9. odin243

odin243 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They did, the thing is the VRM didn't change for that chip upgrade. Presumably the article was implying that the die-shrink would require a new VRM, which would almost certainly make a drop-in upgrade impossible (without extensive modding and engineering knowledge at least). However it makes sense, since OEM's would still be able to upgrade their lines with minimum problems, simply by applying the new VRM. It would only really hurt individuals who hoped for an upgrade, which is probably a relatively small percentage of consumers.

10. Laxislife1265

Reputations:
    yeah i havent really heard of many people who have bought laptops in 2007 looking forward to utilizing the penryn Processors so laptops made in 08 should be able to upgrade to the 8000/9000 series without a problem right? i still dont fully understand the situation... i probably did about a couple hours ago but im so tired i cant retain any information presented to me... i think im just gonna go to sleep and try to figure it out tomorrow xD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.