Penryn CPU Whine

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by madflava54, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stebesplace

stebesplace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Its on my R61, and I will be sending it in with my latch issue if i can't resolve the latch issue on my own.

2. tresher

tresher Newbie

Reputations:
    Using VISTA there is an easy and bulletproof solution for CPU whine without any additional tools.
    1) Control Panel
    2) Power Options
    3) Change plan settings (of the plan you are using of course
    4) Change advanced power settings
    5) Processor Power Management
    6) Minimum Processor State
    On Battery just put: 100 %

When you push 'Apply' the noise is immediately gone...

Have a nice and silent day !

3. jeffsiler

jeffsiler Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What type of battery hit does this give?

Jeff

4. jo2008

jo2008 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,
    I don't have a Penryn, but it still whines so annoyingly working with this thing has become torture for my ears...

I can only make it stop if i switch the power plan to "powersave". Not sure, why it helps, but the noise stops instantly.

Also, I did not have this issue when I got the T61p in January.. it only started like 3 or 4 weeks ago. Maybe the newest power manager software is f'd up?

Jo

5. bob13bob

bob13bob Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the same problem. Maximum performance (full cpu clock speed) = annoying etching sound.

Battery save (minimal cpu clock speed) = no annoying sound.

Hasn't any body cracked their laptop open to apply glue yet? Or has any one successfully gotten lenovo warranty service to fix it?

I'm leaning towards fixing it physically rather than using a bios or cpu process tweak; paying for extra performance (speed and battery life) so I don't want to do anything to counter it.

In terms of variation in build quality, this is common place at least for lenovo. The fact there are 3 lenovo keyboards (where one is the best) and 2 different screens (one is vastly superior). Before Lenovos were made more often from Taiwan (not sure, could be singapore), now they are shipping more from China.

6. amazing-boy

amazing-boy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My HP 6510B has this problem, too.
    Under win xp I've solved the problem disabling the "popup mode" but under linux the problem is still present and I don't know how configure libcpufreq or powernowd to clean the whine.

7. jonlumpkin

jonlumpkin NBR Transmogrifier

Reputations:
    I am having this same issue. Under Vista/XP the system is very quiet. However, under Ubuntu it whines like crazy and I'm not sure why (the fan is effectively spun down and inaudible in all environments) or how to stop it.

On a possibly related note I am unable to achieve the same degree of power savings in Linux as I can in Windows. On Vista I can get my x200 Tablet down to 6 watts, however I have been unable to break 10 watts with Ubuntu.

Any help in correcting the whine and/or power usage would be appreciated.

8. [CoD]static

[CoD]static Newbie

Reputations:
    I registered just to reply to this thread because I know what a pain this sound is. I too was able to solve the problem in Windows XP by disabling "popup mode" in RMClock.

In linux I found the following website that helped. I'm currently running Ubuntu 8.10. Since 8.04 there has been a new method of doing this which I have included below. The website details the old method as well. http://www.inliniac.net/blog/2008/07/25/fixing-noise-on-ubuntu-hardy-804-aka-setting-max_cstate.html

I hope this helps.

9. satdog

satdog Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    the whine problem still exists?

T7100 , asus s96s whine. I currently use RM clock

10. [CoD]static

[CoD]static Newbie

Reputations:
    amazing-boy was still having problems with linux. It looks like we now have fixes for vista, xp, and linux. Hopefully people find this thread, I know it took me a lot of searching to find a fix.

Oh and by the way, I have a Merom chipset. T7600 in a Dell. The chirp drove me nuts just like everyone else.