Penryn CPU Whine

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by madflava54, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. computerpro3

computerpro3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    CPU's do not whine. What is probably causing the sound is the coils on the toroidal inductors on the motherboard vibrating at ultra-high speed. They are supposed to come with a layer of lacquer on them so they don't move, but in some cases the lacquer is too thin or fails. I have had the same problem on several of my desktop systems and inside several power supplies, and this is easily fixed by putting a dab of hot glue on the inductor.

The reason this appears to be cpu specific is because the inductors are in the vcore voltage regulation circuit, which means that depending on the cpu and power draw, they will vibrate at different frequencies.

This is what they look like

[​IMG]

I almost guarantee you that is the culprit, not the CPU which has no parts which can move or emit noise. The only time I've ever heard a cpu make noise was when I popped the heatspreader on an old Pentium 4 off because I had it at -64 degrees celsius under a custom built phase change cooling system!

2. madflava54

madflava54 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I read like 200 different speculations as I tried to search for the problem. I really just want my t61p that I spent a nice amount of money on to just run without any sound coming from it. If Lenovo didnt put enough lacquer, then I guess I better call them.

3. computerpro3

Reputations:
    It's not Lenovo, it's whoever made the inductor. Furthermore, the motherboard OEM company should have chosen higher quality parts. Unfortunately I've never seen a motherboard of any brand that has been immune to this.

4. madflava54

Reputations:
    Well, don't some computers have no whine and others do?

5. pundit

pundit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    maybe the mobos come from different suppliers??

6. stebesplace

stebesplace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got an R61 with the Penryn. I too get the whine! Comes out of what seems to be the back left vents. When I use Vista to switch between High Performance, to Power Saver, the whine goes away. When I use Balanced, its hit or miss. So that "throttling" has something to do with it. Overall though for me, its not a HUGE deal, but would be nice if there was a fix out there...

7. madflava54

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's how one of my roommates solves his problem, but that does not work for me it seems.

8. madflava54

Reputations:
    I called Lenovo and they had no fix for it. They offered to send a box and send in my computer but I would have to wait 5-7 business days. I can't go that long without a laptop so I declined. I won't need my laptop everyday after the end of April so I will send it in then. But I am really disappointed at this point.

9. computerpro3

Reputations:
    Some computers have no whine and others do because the quality is variable from part to part on the torodials. It just so happens that some may get a more even coat of lacquer than others. These torodials are likely made in China and one may measure different than another.

When I said I have never seen a motherboard brand immune to the squeal, I didn't mean that al have it. I just meant that I have seen the squeal on almost every brand of board out there. My motherboard,a $220 Asus P5k Deluxe, used to have it but a dab of hot glue on the inductor solved the problem. It's nothing to really be concerned about, it's just annoying.

The change in the whine when changing between different power modes is because the chip is using more or less voltage, which affects the inductors in the vcore circuit.

10. madflava54

Reputations:
    So, there is no fix that I can do without opening up my computer?