PCMCIA Problems with a Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 MK5 and Antix Linux

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by FX-Tech, Sep 9, 2019.

1. FX-Tech

FX-Tech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    We already ruled that out. Both slots work great in Windows XP and any Linux distro that uses a kernel before 2.6.33. Several others have been able to recreate the same issue on their own machines. Also as stated earlier, this is NOT an issue for MK1 through MK3 CF-29's - They work fine. It's the MK4 and MK5 CF-29s with the later hardware that are having the issue. The top PCMCIA/Cardbus - yes 32 bits - slot does not work in a toughbook CF-29 MK4 or MK5 with any current Linux distribution. It appears Linux does not support the PCI bridge in these machines.

2. evenflow153

evenflow153 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Should prob have read more than 5 posts

3. mklym

mklym Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    An update for those following this thread.

FX-Tech is now working with a group of us behind the scene to come up with a solution to the problem.
    The thread will be updated when we achieve a solution.

alexhawker likes this.
  4. mklym

mklym Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It seems that the top PCMCIA support was dropped when the kernel went from 2.6.32 to 2.6.33.
    There has been numerous attempts to compile a hybrid(?) kernel using using Debian 4.19 and the config file from the 2.6.32 kernel. FAIL on all attempts.
    An email has been sent to the kernel maintainer laying out what has been attempted and asking if a fix can be implemented.

A BIG THANK YOU to Michael AU for all the time, effort and knowledge he has spent working on this problem with the group. Very much appreciated!

The group is hopeful that a solution can/will be found. Either way, this thread will get updated when there is something to report.

alexhawker likes this.
  5. Michael AU

Michael AU Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Email hasn't been sent yet due to being a little under the weather and not getting online for the last week. I have a little bit more work to do getting some information from various distros and will then send the email. Progress reports will be forthcoming.

6. Michael AU

Michael AU Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Email was sent a short time ago directly to Greg Kroah-Hartman. Hopefully we might be able to get both slots working again on CF-29 Mark 4 and 5.

7. Michael AU

Michael AU Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A patch has been developed by a kernel dev (not Greg Kroah-Hartmman) that we need to merged into the kernel. It has been developed for kernel 5.4-rc1 but should be able to be merged into 4.19 by individual users. I will get to it sometime this week and get some testing done, if both slots show up we will do some testing and then report back to the kernel devs to let them know how it went. If we get the all clear I will release a 4.19 and a 5.* kernel for Debian and Debian derivatives, anyone who uses a non-Debian based distro will be able to merge the patch and build their own kernel as I will post the approved patch here. If everything works as it is hoped it will it will possibly be part of the 5.4 kernel release.

alexhawker likes this.
  8. Michael AU

Michael AU Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have been given the honour of letting everyone know that after alot of compiling, testing, emailing, patching, compiling, and testing a small band of Toughbook Warriors and kernel developers have worked together to successfully re-enable both PCMCIA slots on the CF-29 Mk4 and Mk5 Toughbooks.

It has been a huge learning experience but also a pleasure to have the opportunity to work with a great group of people to get something working that has been broken for at least 8 years.

I'm going to add "Never give up, never surrender" to my signature. If you have never seen Galaxy Quest you won't know what I mean.

alexhawker, FX-Tech and evenflow153 like this.
  9. UNCNDL1

UNCNDL1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Michael, thank you once again. You all are dedicated & determined, and going the extra mile certainly has paid off. Cheers!

Michael AU likes this.