PCH heatsink mod alienware 15

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by judal57, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dashing_97

Dashing_97 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    But bro, why would Alienware 15 r2 require a pch mod?? Does it not work well without it?? Also you didn't tell me, is it better to do the more myself for i7 4720hq? Will it fix the throttling issue?? Or should i just get an r2 system?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    even R2 PCH temps goes above 80-90c.. sometimes.. which might need better cooling.. i dont know man, if they are willing to provide u a aluminium heatsink.. then let them do it.. and PCH is just one of main cause of throttling, disabling BD prochot on TS works for some.. for me i prefer the heatsink method.. it all comes to ur personal preference.. if they are providing u an R2 sytem why not... see if u can get.. if not do the mod by urself on ur R1.. @judal57 might give you some suggestion, since im workin on mods for R2, he is working on R1. both are same. but still.. he test the R1 drivers etc.. i used to test.. not anymore.

3. Dashing_97

Dashing_97 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is so funny, i thought only r1 had weird throttling issues, nobody ever talked about those issues in r2. What about the screen quality in r2? Is it bad?

4. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    most of the R2 dont have this problem, PCH temps can vary due to ur ambient temps.. and the air flow.. R2 screen is just usable, not good like the R1 version, it has less backlight bleed, less ghosting, but bad colors. bad nits.. u can replace it later with few other models.. if ur current setup works proper after PCH mod, you can do a little tweak to undervolt ur CPU... and keep it.. but always try to get replacement..

5. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    if you want to overlock hard, you need to reduce the pch temps; because OC means more heat to pch. i dont like things going higher than 80°C

6. Dashing_97

Dashing_97 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Please guys, tell me if i put 3-4 thermal pads on the pch, will it stop throttling?? On i7 4720hq will it not throttle even with hours of gaming??

7. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you can only put 1 there, above the pch, there is not too much room .. you can also put thermal pads above the SSD´s and above ram .. i have thermal pads above everything XD to conect things to the back panel 2 thermal pads, making like a sandwich above SSD and ram ... and a little metal thing that get got near to the battery conector, and yes, you can solve the throttling problems with good thermal pads ... like 2mm fujipoly 6W/mk

pad.PNG

8. newlich

newlich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  9. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i cant remember the gap @VICKYGAMEBOY know the exact space there ... i would like to see your mods .. what do you mean when you say "add heatsink" ? and a mod backlid ? thanks for comment

10. newlich

newlich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    judal57 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.