PCH heatsink mod alienware 15

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by judal57, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm seeing 2C difference after DPTF install. Any way to backup oem vbios to disk?

2. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yes, you can but i dont know how .

3. Vasudev

Reputations:
    tried Gpu-z to backup vbios and it said "Your display might flicker when the process starts" I clicked Yes and the next thing is it force quit itself.

4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For 15R1 and 15R2 optimus cancer you need to use safe mode with W10 to flash/read bios

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I'll try that today.

6. newlich

newlich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm back. First of all, I wanna say thank-you for everyone who share their experience and try to help.

I've done my repaste, repad, PCH heatsink mod, and bottom cover mod.

Before, I faced throttling during playing Dota 2 after 30mins gaming. Max temperature 93'c and throttling around 90'c. After cooling mod, even though I tun wPrine, XTU stress test and Dota 2 together, max temperature 83'c, zero throttling for an hour. Actually there was a few seconds of power throttling, but it only drop my from 3.4Ghz to 3.2Ghz, unnoticeable in performance. I keep having current throttling in XTU during heavy load or stress test, but it doesn't drop my gaming fps or CPU clock speed at all. I believe it can be ignored?

The back cover I bought from Taobao is amazing. It is better than the original cover. It made of metal(aluminum i guess), like a passive cooling. When I touch the bottom after hours of gaming, it doesn't as heat as it was before.

All the result I mentioned above is without cooling pad. I believe it can do better or even a little bit of overclocking if I use a cooling pad.

Fall in love once again with my Alienware 15. Gonna enjoy the next few years of gaming with her.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Aman Krishna and judal57 like this.
  7. ashknani

ashknani Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    do u think a copper shim would do the trick ?

8. newlich

newlich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I do use copper shim for PCH, M.2 SSD and RAM.

Too bad I couldn't monitor the PCH temp. I can't prove whether thermal pad + copper shim lower PCH temp. But theoretically and base on this thread information, it should works.

Aman Krishna likes this.
  9. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    what i did was after playing like 1 hour of gaming, quickly restart my pc and enter on diagnostic, so i can check that my pch temp were lower
    in fact a thermal pad above the pch is better than nothing, a similar case you can see on EVGA pascal cards ... they have to send people thermal pads to put above some capacitors, the thermal pads are not going to make contact, but air thermal transfer is so low that thermal pads can improve a lot

10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Incorrect i have that evga card. those thermal pads connect the vrms with the mid and backplate that act as a heatsink. those 20c temp difference isnt just because the thermal pads used.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.