PCH heatsink mod alienware 15

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by judal57, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You forget a third factor. Its right next to the CPU/GPU heat sink which does radiate a lot of heat, a DIY heatsink on the PCH catches that much easier than just the chip.

The mounting is a non factor here. It was mounted through 3M thermal tape on a perfect clean heatsink.

The numbers do not lie. I have to let my laptop work really hard to get the PCH to 80c (both CPU+GPU 100% load), which is well under the thermal limit if I may add. With the heatsink, even moderately putting stress on the CPU caused it to go directly to over 80c.

So you might think, that is odd. After this I removed the heatsink, cleaned it again with pure cleaning alcohol and the temps where normal again. Grabbed another heatsink with fresh 3M thermal tape, repeated the process and again it ran much hotter than normal. I should have filmed the process :)

Those all aluminum heatsinks just have a less good ability to lose the heat to the air itself and need airflow for that to hapen. The PCH chip die does not.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  2. sste

sste Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    IR radiation? Radiation is optically coupled with the surroundings. At those temperatures that isn't a factor.

So the tiny die provides better heat convection than the heatsink with hundred times the surface area?

Not going to argue anymore. Maybe it really doesn't work, I don't know, but not for any of the reason you stated.

3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The heatsinks that are linked in this topic are not 100times the die size, they are barely larger that the die itself, so with the indentations just double the die size. You can think what you want, I have tested it with those heatsinks and those where my findings. Dont forget that the heatsink fills up the little bit of empty space that is actually there making it much fuller than it already is. The little bit of airflow that is present around the PCH is now gone with filling it up with a heatsink. Dont treat the engineers as total idiots, if it would really help they would have placed a heatsink, now MSI, Asus and Alienware all did not use a heatsink in the same circumstances and configuration.

Aleckhz likes this.
  4. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i connect the moded heatsink of the pch to the gpu heatsink using thermal pad (artic thermal pad) a good one... and it helped me a lot !!! i cant read the temperatures in real time because my model dont allow that ... but i cant ensure you dont surpass 80°C, i have the hotwell model, so on skylake should help more
    [​IMG]

newlich likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Even 15 R2 has trouble querying precise temp. using Compal EC, usually system gets unresponsive & lot of stuttering. Even Intel PCH is buggy for me, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Correct me, if I'm wrong.
    EDIT: Double post was because of my slow Internet speed.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  6. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  7. newlich

newlich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Vasudev and judal57 like this.
  8. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    that is because i make gpu OC, and i cant see any difference on fps or frame rate putting the processor at 3ghz or 3,5ghz, only more heat
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/15957487 here is my actual performance

Vasudev and newlich like this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @judal57 : Is there any further optimization to squeeze more points out of 15 r2? Also, cTDP options are missing after Anniv. update in Power options.

10. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    reinstall the Intel thermal framework with the link i put here.
    you can go to premamod.com and search for your model and install the Vbios to unlock your gpu, then you can overclock your gpu using msi afterburner

newlich likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.