PCH heatsink mod alienware 15

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by judal57, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LOL i understand you ... i have TG conductonaut installed + Artic thermal pads 6W/mk ... also i have the pch mod and i wanted that backlid but i live in Colombia and is imposible to get one of these here ...
    also i add thermal pads of 1,5mm above the Vram chips under the palm rest to make them make contact with the aluminum plate under keyboard ...
    [​IMG]

also i add thermal pads above each mosfet, capacitor and choke :) on the motherboard

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I tried the heatsink mod by the way on my AW15R2 and it made the temps worse. so I do not recommend it. There is a reason why the PCH chipset on the Skylake models do not have a heatsink. The chip die is too small to cool efficiently with a passive heatsink.

My temps are max 80c by the way under 100% full load.

3. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ur just close to throttle temps, which is around 82-84c.. I'm not sure, I just made a custom aluminium plate and used it on top, it did reduce my max temps by 6-10c depending on my ambient, even the haswell PCH is same size, and when I remove the plate 99.9% I get PCH throttle, may be u had bad contact or something went wrong, there is reason why the older models had heatsink on them.. @judal57 can you explain him about surface area and dynamics.. heheh I cant share u anything now, my laptop is dead due to the MB power button cable, its messed up, if I plugin my charger, the light on charger end turns off, I think that cable is really important, even without that cable I tried to just use charger and see if the light stays, but no, the moment I plug in my charger it goes off, gotta order it from parts-people, I hope its just that.. if not I cant replace my mobo, since I'm out of warranty..

a big nope, I just made three custom heatsinks, none of them fit, only 2mm ultrathin ones fit proper and does the job, rest nope.. cooling these subcomponents are really important.. try 3M 8810 2mm ultra thin heatsink.. and for the backside of motherboard stick with max of 1.5mm.. 2mm is kinda too much, I just tried..

4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Accordign to the Intel datasheets the throttle temp is around 105c so not close to it by a longshot (for the skylake generation PCH's).

The heatsink was mounted correctly with 3M thermal tape. But the heatsink just acts as a shield, it warms up until it cannot hold anymore warmth and there is no airflow to push that heat away. My temps where even 80c while doing productivity, normally while doing nothing intensive my PCH temps are around 40c. So after 30minutes I just pulled it off and cleaned the surface with some pure alcohol. Those small metal plates on top in the past also didnt function as a heatsink.

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Mine stays at 50C with room temp of 25-28C, during gameplay it goes 75-80C w/o repaste.

6. newlich

newlich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If that is the case, I think I will just use heatsink shim + thermal pad. Better than nothing right? :) May I know the width & height for your heatsink? Not sure to go 15mm or 20mm.

7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Read my comment above. it will act as an heat insulator and will even warm up.

8. sste

sste Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How can a properly mounted heatsink act as an insulator?! Are you claiming it has lower thermal conductivity than the chip cover? Does it cause heat transfer from other components?
    It probably helps very little, but it doesn't insulate.

9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The heatsink is indeed affected the surround cpu & gpu heatsink. Also the space does not allow a large enough heatsink to pull all heat away from the chip, since there is no airflow pulling heat away from the heatsink it just warms up and actually keeps being hot. So the chip cannot lose its heat anymore under the heatsink.

I used the heatsinks that where linked in this topic. I checked various similar specced laptops and they all have no heatsink. Because it is a very small chip die you actually need an optimized heatsink for the heat profile of the chip to cool it. A random heatsink does not do it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  10. sste

sste Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So without the heatsink the chip doesn't warms up and keeps getting hot? Or the energy stored by the chip and heatsink is greater than the energy stored by the chip when there is no heatsink? Then either the heatsink produces energy or the ambient inside the laptop is higher than the chip temperature (in which case your CPU or GPU are way higher temperature...). I am sorry, not trying to discredit you, but physics doesn't work this way.
    Very small chip indeed makes it harder to dissipate heat from it, and a better thermal compound and copper heatsink will do much better (as we also see with newer CPUs). But be that as it may the only way that putting a heatsink makes it worse is if either the heatsink is very poorly mounted (e.g. with non-thermal conductive adhesive, in which case it indeed insulates) or if it highly obstructs airflow, but there is little to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.