PC Gaming Shakeup: Ashes of the Singularity, DX12 and the Microsoft Store

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by n=1, Mar 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    gonna join the borg?

2. Splintah

Splintah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wait let me get this straight, no SLI support and no G-Sync support? They dug their own grave.

TomJGX, Kent T, Ashtrix and 1 other person like this.
  3. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    from what i've heard there is SLI support just hasn't been added into the ROTTR win 10 store version.

4. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    This is GFWL 2.0 - we know how that went. I believe the PC community is too strong to succumb to this. No one that has a 60Hz +, SLI / CF and/or Gsync/Freesync is going to tolerate it.
    MS store still needs gamers more than gamers need it. Sure they'll sell a few x1 games, but I don't see Steam users changing their stars and stripes.

If MS start mandating WDDM 2.0, then I can see big problems though.

5. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    you talk as if they'll NEVER fix it and that's a bit disappointing. people want change but are not willing to adapt is sad.

6. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    I don't think this is the 'change' people were asking for do you?
    Most people wanted closer to the hardware efficiency that DX12 promised. Not the trojan horse we feared we'd get.
    I've no need for DX12 if it artificially limits my performance to less than DX11. What's the point. Sure things might change. But until they do...

I guess we'll see.

PrimeTimeAction likes this.
  7. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    you're allowed to be cynical but i ain't saying you need to be a complete chump either eating up all they say. they just need a bit more time to work the kinks out and i do believe they will address the vsync issue. they can't fix if there's no feedback....so yes you'll need to use it if to improve it. Even steam was crap when it first started.

the idea that xb1 games running on PC is brillz and will solve the back compat issue for a good while.

8. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    There are no kinks to work out, Macro$haft wants to push all DX12 games through the WDDM 2.0 compositing engine and have total control over the PC gaming experience that's the bottom line.

On the bright side, if M$ actually goes full retard throttle on this, then DX12 will flop hard, and that just might be the push that Vulkan needs to thrive.

9. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    time will tell good sir!

10. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Just like the people who say the GTX 970 is fine and there's no need to avoid it for any reason whatsoever, you're going to find a FAR larger mass of people supporting the Windows Store because it's "a bit cheaper" or "because I don't mind it" or "who cares about vsync being off" or "who even uses SLI anyway?" and many more reasons. Mark my words: this will not "flop" in its launch. If they go full throttle on this, it's going to be eaten up by the public for at least a couple years until streamers figure out the reason they can't stream is because Windows Store, and gamers figure out they're getting bad performance (it'll take a while, you know... they can't use any overlays to tell their FPS) compared to people on Steam or Origin or GoG, etc, and normal people figure out that their GPUs are overheating in DirectX 12 mode (running almost full bore; their fans locked to a paltry 39% half the time, no temp overlays to notice) or that DirectX12 is a POTENTIAL and not a PROMISE of better gaming, and without Macro$haft and devs actually taking the time to optimize titles, high CPU and GPU usage will be extremely common; moreso than with DirectX 11, especially for game devs who don't care to put a lot of people on their PC versions. Like Activision or Ubicrap.

Ashtrix, PrimeTimeAction and TBoneSan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.