Pavilion 15-akXXX Intel Gaming Notebook (2015)

Discussion in 'HP' started by justinkw1, Oct 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhadamanthis

Rhadamanthis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    at final 950 pro nvme probably work? 16 gb is max for this notebook and work with module 2133. when receveice 850 evo i can bench with aida if you make thread with stock perormance. if you made bios mod ...open to dirty modding for thia stilish notebook.

Inviato dal mio SM-N910F utilizzando Tapatalk

2. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just a heads up, I'm RMAing the machine due to what appears to be a faulty GPU. It's panicking / BSoDing under GPU load, and the logs is full of PCIE errors (several every second), even at idle. Reproducible in both Windows and Linux.

I suggest you also check your event log for PCIE errors, to see if it also affects other machines.

3. Rhadamanthis

Reputations:
    where i found log?

Inviato dal mio SM-N910F utilizzando Tapatalk

4. X610

X610 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can confirm that the Samsung 950 PRO 512GB is not recognized either by this laptop. And that is the main reason I chose it, in order to run NVMe disks. Very sad.
    Can we mod the BIOS or inquire HP to support these type of SSDs?

5. .NetRolller 3D

Reputations:
    I doubt it's a matter of BIOS modding, since the BIOS actually contains an NVMe support module. HP probably didn't connect the PCIE pins of the M.2 slot - in other words, it isn't really an M.2 Type M slot, but a proprietary SATA connector with the same physical dimensions as an M.2 slot. Same thing that they did before with MXM in the Elitebooks.

Event Log can be viewed by searching for eventvwr in the Start menu. For me, the errors were in the System log.

6. X610

X610 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh that's really bad if they did that.
    Only cheerful fact is that we tried the 950 PRO also in an ASUS Z97K-USB3.1 motherboard that is said to support NVMe SSDs and it also was not recognized. We have contacted ASUS Support and are awaiting a more detailed answer, cause their first one was that this SSD may me incompatible with the motherboard.

.NetRolller 3D is there any chance that you live in a country that HP offers a chat service or something like that? In Greece where I live they always forward me to the greek branch where they don't know what SSDs this laptop supports, and I don't blame them.

7. .NetRolller 3D

Reputations:
    I've actually talked with HP Hungary on the phone. According to them, "this laptop cannot be upgraded in any way, period" and "the only supported hardware is what ships with it".

Also, if the hard drive or SSD ever needs to be replaced, HP doesn't offer data recovery, won't cooperate with data recovery firms (i.e. they have a policy of not giving back the old, failed HDD after a repair), and any attempts of data recovery before turning the machine in are considered tampering and will void the warranty, even if done by a professional. This is official word from a HP customer service rep.

At this point, even if it's repaired, I'm gonna return or sell this laptop.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  8. X610

X610 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    :( This is so unfortunate..

They did not use to be like this.. I owned a DV6500 and they updated the BIOS to the point it supported the latest Core2duos that came out years after the release of the notebook.
    Such a shame.

I will look further into this.. It is way too bad for a Skylake notebook that has an M.2 M-socket to not support NVMe SSDs. It also isn't cheap!

ChanceJackson likes this.
  9. Rhadamanthis

Reputations:
    Bad joke hp!!!!!

ChanceJackson likes this.
  10. X610

X610 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Rhadamanthis is the 850 EVO M.2 working ok at least? You get decent speeds? Cause with the stock one speeds suck bigtime!