Password Protecting Documents

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Drew1, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey all. I have lot of documents in my laptop that i like to encrypt. I am using windows 10.

For example, i have quite a bit of documents that i like to password protect as these documents are sensitive information. I also have some pictures as well that i like to. But basically its openoffice documents, openoffice word documents, microsoft office documents and adobe files.

Can someone tell me how i can do this? Do i need to download any special 3rd party software to do this?

Earlier i had clicked on a folder that had about 6 files there, right clicked on that folder, properties, advanced...

And there is option to check Encrypt contents to secure data.

Am i suppose to check this? And if so, when i do this,

It says

You have chosen to make the following changes

encrypt

Do you want to apply this change to this folder only or apply to to all subfolders as well?

I assume its the 2nd option

Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files?

When i do this, all i see is a yellow lock over that folder. However, i can click on that folder... and not only that, i see a lock on each of those 6 documents in those folders. But of course i could open each one easily by clicking on it. It doesn't even ask me to input a password. These documents in this folder are basically photos taken from my iphone.

Can someone tell me how i can do this correctly?

I also assume its different if your document is a photo, openoffice excel, openoffice word, microsoft excel and adobe file right?

Thanks.

2. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    I would take a look at VeraCrypt, which will do what you're asking for; it can create an encrypted, password-protected container in which you can store whatever files you want inside of it.