Passive Cooling Methods on Metal Laptop Bodies / Frames

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Maleko48, May 4, 2018.

1. senso

senso Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ersa canned flux remover would cut through that with ease, used it to remove stuck heatsinks inside OEM cable tv boxes, but that thing was also more or less canned carcinogenics, with MEK, toluene, chlorinated dont know what, among other good stuff, not sure if the current cans are as good, employer had a big stock of the older not really legal to use due to new laws, but was that thing good at removing any gunk!

Maleko48 likes this.
  2. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had brake cleaner out back but at 1AM didn't really feel up to getting into it shortly before bed. I bet turpentine would do well too.

3. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    100% of 99% of the time, it is meant to be semi-permanent sometimes... :p:D

Maleko48 likes this.
  4. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    After several hours of reworking my TurboTube (lol) I managed to bring it from having only 2 inner sinks on the bottom wall to having 3 inner sinks on the bottom wall AND 3 inner sinks on the top wall IN ADDITION TO the 3 external sinks sitting on top of the top wall.

If anyone wants to attempt to replicate this design, I would suggest going for a 200mm total length and saving yourself the hassle of trying to secure 3 (100mm) sinks for each section.

This thing is a brick now! (In a good way.) My only concern is that I had to go with 2mm of total thermal pads height on the padding that physically connects the TT to the laptop body due to ever so slightly upward bevels at the edges of the 7577's keyboard body surface area. However with the correct clearances that means the entire tube makes nice even contact with the body of the laptop unlike the last revision. (I wasn't confident in the previous connection despite it looking decent.)

Anyways, it's late and I'm tired with a big day tomorrow. I plan on running Prime95 a bit tomorrow while I do stuff around the house to see what I can see. :)

20180517_031704.jpg 20180517_031646.jpg 20180517_013434.jpg 20180517_024124.jpg

5. genius89

genius89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, I didn'the know it