Pascal: What do we know? Discussion, Latest News & Updates: 1000M Series GPU's

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by J.Dre, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    So, I bit the bullet and created a Volta thread. Personally, I still think they'll be releasing more Pascal through Q1 of next year, but who knows with AMD Vega on the horizon.

2. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    Havent you paid attention to the tech forums?
    People debate and argue. Make a choice about what is the "only" best buy (in their head of course lol), get the card. Sit there with the card installed in their desktop/notebook, argue why their choice was so much better than the people who got a different product/brand. Rarely actually use their card for gaming but rather use it as a ego boost to why they know better than everyone else. Then argue and debate about the next upcoming card.

And the cycle repeats again. Around and around we go.
    In the meantime: Nvidia, AMD, OEMs, AIBs etc sit in a bathtub full of money with champagne in their hand and laughing and thinking: Thank God for fanboys

3. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:

Hey Cloud! Run fast >>>

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...generation-gpu-architecture-2017-2018.794920/

CaerCadarn, Papusan, jaybee83 and 3 others like this.
  4. Cloudfire

Reputations:
    CaerCadarn, Papusan, jaybee83 and 7 others like this.
  5. aqnb

aqnb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sooo ... what's next after Volta? I've seen rumours taking about the next one being called Einstein ;):p:D

6. Cloudfire

Reputations:
    Please dont give J.Dre any more ideas :p

ajc9988 likes this.
  7. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With as awful as 880M has been it has served me well for the past 2 1/2 years. It does what I have needed it to do (after much work on my part). And I simply could not justify spending more money to "upgrade" a laptop that already cost me $3000.

Although I have thought lately about trimming the herd and swapping my 980M in the M17x R4 for the 880M in the P170SM-A, then selling the Alienware along with the M18x R2.

I have a couple of older netbooks to sell too. My goal is to build a desktop and keep the Sager for work and play when I travel. The Alienware machines are very cool but have no place in a factory environment where they will simply get damaged and/or destroyed.

Sent from my overpriced Galaxy S6 Edge +

ajc9988 likes this.
  8. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I am a trader and strategist, so I literally live for this stuff. :D If you do what you love, you never work a day in your life, or so they say.

9. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Let me be the first to ask, since I don't have a gaming laptop at the moment: should I buy a Pascal laptop next week, or should I wait until Volta? I want to future proof, so....

Maybe wait until Einstein, actually?

:p

TomJGX and hmscott like this.
  10. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    That depends! Volta is a different memory type which requires a different heatsink and board layout. If they keep the direction of the pcb and rough shape, you will have to purchase a're heatsink for the new design, but it should work. Otherwise wait a generation. If Clevo makes a beast like the p570 for skylake-x, then one year you could have the new heatsink and something that will out perform all for 5+ years. Considering the tdp lessened between the 1080 and 980, moving forward, this machine should have the heat controllable on subsequent cards, but next year would be more assured IF it utilizes HBM2!!! Otherwise, it is a two year wait, meaning your waiting for a future proof machine will never come. I shall upgrade my zm once more and build a desktop, unless word of a skylake-X laptop reaches me! Considering it will also support Cannonlake-X, it would have forthcoming support...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Ashtrix and Papusan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.