Pascal: What do we know? Discussion, Latest News & Updates: 1000M Series GPU's

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by J.Dre, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    But Vega could be cheaper than the 1080 or the same price and force Nvidia to pop out a 1080 Ti

temp00876, Georgel and ajc9988 like this.
  2. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It would undoubtedly be cheaper. I don't remember a time when AMD was more expensive than NVIDIA. But Vega will have HBM2, which has pretty much been confirmed. NVIDIA must be planning to follow up. I imagine they'll introduce Volta earlier than we anticipate.

As for the performance of Vega, I'm still waiting for the day AMD gives NVIDIA a "run for their money." But I don't expect as much.

Ethrem likes this.
  3. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Vega being the next progression on Fiji, it will take on Pascal high end... Not titan X(p), but 1080 yes... Volta is a different story and I don't know...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

4. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Being ancient has nothing to do with ability to beat older cards today. The 8800GTX was ancient and it held the crown for years. They had a couple years to beat a 980 with a next gen mid range card, big whoop. Also, no secrets with devs, the tools are out there and they barely use them. Most games are console ports that require a ton of power to run great. Also don't forget about horrible multi gpu support so far. They have all the tools they need to make pc games amazing, but they don't push them. Look at crytek back in the 2000's, do you see anyone doing what they did, today? The only thing pushing required gaming power now is resolution, refresh rates, multi monitor, VR, and crappy-er ports; there is no game engine or rendering tech that is taking pc to the next level and leaving consoles in the dust.

The good news is our 980s will last for a while. The only time I see a need for significantly more power is when PS4 neo and Xbox scoprio come out. Expect some crappy ports that look good...dangerous combo

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  5. Riddhy916

Riddhy916 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi guys what is lvds? some discussions going on that nvidia pascal is lvds so isnt it mxm 3.0b form factor for gtx 1070 and gtx 1060?

6. Isaac1980

Isaac1980 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  7. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes graphics score. But sometimes synthetic benchmarks doesn't always paint a true picture on reality. In games the frames is negligible.
    I remember going back when the 285m gtx and cards after then. The 3D mark scores stopped going up accordingly. Especially for amd cards. They was good but the bench mark became irrelevant because it was too dated for the tech in the card.
    We still use 3D mark 11. I think it's pointless. 3D mark fire strike is the only benchmark that think is relevant on scoring the gpu and that's just the graphics score. The standard score has cpu variable that plays a part more to its score than the gpu score which will only be noticeably depending on cooling and if it's paired with a "U" cpu like when the benchmarked the aw13 with a "u" cpu with the docked 980 and it got about 1k points less than regular 980

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    It's a display input port on the Mobo, eDP is another, eDP is the reason why GSync works Nvidia could done it for free but they are green greed milking machine.

Next is LVDS is mostly used for 60Hz only. 120Hz needs eDP ports so mostly those machines have this eDP capability, Also Nvidia dropped the bomb on the old machines with LVDS to VGA a.k.a M15x type with Pascal for no Analog signal support, while there's this speculation for the machines that have LVDS but use an IC for eDP (P770ZM they have only LVDS but can solder eDP so this might be the case that Prema was talking about the machines that use IC for) I don't know exactly what's with this (check this for More info), I maybe complicating things up with my measly knowledge but hope you get an idea here.

Also the M18x R2, AW18 don't have the LVDS port from my knowledge but if one wants to run a 1070 MSI card (if it fits) in them They might need to fix it up themselves also no idea how would BIOS react. P570WM seems to have the eDP.

And 1060 Clevo also has a power connector which is MXM but not the 3.0b, The only chance for the Old machines is the 1070 MSI which are hard to find even when the machines are out / upgrade kits seem hard to find even for the MSI users. If you have an M18x R2 and only for gaming the 980M SLI should suffice until Volta / Pascal Gen2 else you can jump ship to Clevo,

I'd add this - Clevo's cards seem to have the standard shape from the leaks they might stick to this format. BUT remember, the HBM2 will change everything once It hits on mobile again G5X is already here with 1080, Since the heatsinks will need modifications if the Die size changes, else the massive "Grid" Vapour chamber cooler on the 870DM3 would suffice.

EDIT : Seems like the M15x has the eDP after all..

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  9. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    So I compared the mxm schematics on the DM and ZM and the lvds on both are not listed as ports, like vga isn't listed as a port, but the eDP, two DP and HDMI all are, suggesting that there may be a similar eDP bridge to LVDS as what is needed for support. I'm **** with schematics. I'll admit that, so this could mean I'm wrong, but the schematics on both are very similar and share this in common. If lvds isn't a port, I think it may be proper to think it is the IC between eDP and LVDS, but would love someone better to look at it. Check out the service manuals on palkeo mirror. The mxm schematic for the dm is on page 72, zm is also page 72...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Georgel and Ashtrix like this.
  10. ExtremeX

ExtremeX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    don't expect 1060 laptop can overclock more than 10%
    because of the power supply and heat

temp00876 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.