Pascal: What do we know? Discussion, Latest News & Updates: 1000M Series GPU's

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by J.Dre, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Not to mention that now we've seen some inkling of prices (around $1200-$1600), it'll actually target buyers who currently have the 850M/860M/950M/960M GPUs...

I still cannot wrap my head around how they managed this.

Yes, I know TDP-wise the 1060 hits the 970M segment, but prices are what matter to 90% of gamers. For example, in desktops:

A GPU is ~$250-300? Mid-range!
    $100? Low end!
    $700? High end!
    $5000? Insane!

Likewise for laptops. I don't think much of the gamer market (who play DoTA, CSGO and LoL) look at or bother about TDP. They just think 'oh, my laptop's getting hot'.

Well, that's a simple and rather mundane problem to fix: make a bigger chip with more cores.

As already mentioned: we need physically-based rendering hardware, rather than hardware which uses tricks to shade a scene. That will be a true challenge. Advanced anti-aliasing techniques, realistic fluid and weather simulation. Ray-tracing, photon mapping. String and thread physics (i.e. a more advanced and generalised implementation of HairWorks). Subatomic/electron valence simulation.

Turns out all these are computationally very, very expensive. Can't simply get a graphics pipeline to do it, because the latter is optimised to rely on a shader map, polyhedron vertices and texture .png files and post-processing to make the whole thing look good. All tricks, to make things look real.

In short: what Witcher 3 promised to be, vs what it actually was graphically. It still looks great, but... meh. Low-poly garlic. @octiceps

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  2. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Actually, most gamers be like, "My laptop randomly shutdown while playing this game and fire was coming out the back, is it overheating?"

:D

Nah bro, it's fine. It's supposed to do that - this new afterburner effect.

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    First need 1060 close the 14% gap up to 980 with Overclock. Then need the same 1060 overclock further up with an graphics increase about 3000 points in FS to reach 980 Max overclocked. Will 1060 manage +41 % Overclock? And in a slim thin lightweight laptop who 1060 is the main target?

4. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

I'm actually happy with these changes of situation.

The more we close in on bigger and better screens, the more I want my games and software to run on better hardware.

I just hope they will keep improving.

It's only a few days left now. I sure do hope that everyone in this world will have access to amazing tech, I mean, if people buying cheaper laptops will be getting more power, and I will too, things are going to be sweet!

MiSJAH and Ionising_Radiation like this.
  5. PMF

PMF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    $1200 for the 1060? I haven't seen anything anywhere near that low - did I miss a leak? Looks to me like we are looking at $1400+, which would be in line with 970M. The 960M starts at like $799 :)

6. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    So ancient that it blows away every mobile GPU that's existed thus far. Such a closing of the power gap is nothing which should be downplayed so flippantly.

There's always new technology on the horizon.

Using the "lazy devs" misnomer is really vapid. You think they're sitting on super secret technology or something?

7. Papusan

Reputations:
    And Nvidia will milk every drop of Pascal to the spring/summer 2018. I doubt we will see new high end graphics next summer!! Remember my words.

jaybee83 likes this.
  8. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm starting to doubt that. Everything suggests Volta is being moved up along with Vega.

9. Papusan

Reputations:
    Nvidia mean they have put in so much performance in mobile graphics now... More than enough for 2 years. Next upgrade for laptops come from Intel with Kaby Lake. People with M graphics need the graphics upgrade, but we with the desktop card can wait.

10. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Volta HPC will be out in 2017. Consumer, maybe not.
    Vega isnt that impressive if it is on same node as Polaris and are similar to Polaris.

I would expect a 4096 shader Vega to be on par with GTX 1080 +/-15% assuming its similar to Polaris.
    I doubt we will see any GPU bigger than that from AMD anytime soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.