Pascal: What do we know? Discussion, Latest News & Updates: 1000M Series GPU's

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by J.Dre, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Lol I did mean the whole quote, I just stopped after the first line haha. How often do the Clevo manuals change before releases in your experience?

Prema and Georgel like this.
  2. Glexium

Glexium Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    When it comes to SLI I'm very torn. Kepler era SLI used to work alot better and I loved the experience. Less frame pacing issues and more support. I certainly didn't enjoy the Maxwell SLI experience myself - 120fps in SLI felt like 70 in single GPU, but I wouldn't rule it out as a technology simply for benchmarkers. And no it's not for 'bragging rights' @J.Dre, although I know your advice is coming from a good place it's not entirely sound. How's someone going to power 4k?

I'll still likely go for the most powerful single card I can shoehorn in my Clevo unless I hear some good reports on SLI from experienced members on this forum (not Linus :p)

I think for 1080p 120hz and single 970 is going to be delicious. But for those with 4k..gonna need more HP.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Papusan and hmscott like this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Pascal 1080/1070 SLI will run the same games as my GT80 SLI-263 980m SLI, except faster, and hopefully fast enough @ 4k to go 60 fps or faster.

That's good enough for me.

As to the games that don't scale, not a problem, I will run them on 1 card that is faster than my previous 980m SLI at it's SLI best - without SLI. :)

As to the UE4 games, if they don't run on Windows 7/8.1, I'll ignore them or if they are worth it, I might get a new Xbox One S to play them.

And, if the new DX12/Vulcan/VR multi-GPU API's come through with scalable games, then I can play those on both GPU's, or just one.

Either way, it's at least as fast as a single 1080/1070 GPU on all games, but for 90%+ of all my current games + some of the new ones, SLI works just fine. :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Kade Storm and Georgel like this.
  5. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    85% of the games I play make good use of SLI. I hear people always saying its crap, but I have had a positive experience. DX12 games are a little shaky, but new dev kits from MS is making it very easy for developers to implement explicit multi-gpu support. Even the Vulcan API is focusing mainly on mutli gpu support for its next version. I see a rough start for DX12 games, but will get better soon. All other big games this year will support it, such as Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, no mans sky, call of duty. I'm also hoping gears 4 works with it, but I wouldn't count on it being that its on the MS store.

TBoneSan, Georgel and hmscott like this.
  6. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    TBoneSan, Georgel and hmscott like this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Hey, it comes with *Free* Fedex Ground shipping!! ;)o_O

As Ethrem say's it's not bad for MSI pricing. The last GT80S 980 SLI model went for $4500+
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154033

So "only" $400-$500 more for top tier 1080 Pascal SLI sounds like a bargain. :D

Are you suggesting that arguing over the merit's of Yacht's outside our financial reach is a waste of time?? :confused::p:D

Georgel and Ethrem like this.
  8. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm curious about the 6920HQ and how it can hold up two 1080s.

It also has a CM236 chipset - http://ark.intel.com/m/products/90593/Intel-GL82CM236-PCH#@product/specifications

Honestly for 1TB worth of NVMe RAID goodness, 64GB of RAM, 460W worth of PSU... This machine could really be considered a bargain for MSI.

hmscott and Georgel like this.
  9. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    About SLI:

It's great except no software can use it except for games, when writing games and software it's actually complicated to make them run on SLI cards, and they are quite expensive.

If bought only for gaming, SLI is a treat. If one needs to do work, it's really not fun.

Quadro cards usually don't come in SLI. I'm not sure if they can work in SLI at all.

And price is really good for a MSI on those specs lol.

hmscott and Ethrem like this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's a "Full Boat" configuration at that, really nicely optioned.

I hope that 2 x 230w power spec for this GT83VR is an error / typo.

The GT83S 1080 SLI was getting the 2 x 330w power, and the GT73S 1070 SLI was getting the 2 x 230w power according to the one article that released the 2x power adapter info.

The Customize section shows 330w for "2nd" Power Adapter, so that suggests this GT83VR does come with 330w and supports 2x330w... it's worth asking XoticPC before ordering, and optioning up to 2x330w if it doesn't already come that way.

Georgel and Ethrem like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.