Pascal: What do we know? Discussion, Latest News & Updates: 1000M Series GPU's

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by J.Dre, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirana

sirana Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You seem extremely convinced of SLI, yet after all I read you're the one spreading mis-information... SLI has been great but as of late due to missing support from the developers it seemed to be left behind, and you can't deny that. With a few exceptions SLI sucks in games, that's the general consensus, and you shouldn't get the hopes of other people up by making them believe it's worth the 800+ bucks they're gonna pay for a second card.

hmscott likes this.
  2. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Papusan, hmscott and Prototime like this.
  3. sirana

sirana Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'd not be surprised if the mobile 1080 comes only with regular GDDR5. . . Yet a bit disappointing it it were so.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, well, that's nice and all, but I'll take the 2x performance now rather than the hope of 2x more performance 9 months from now.

That's a long time to wait for another release, bug fixing, stability, etc, would make that 1 year out in total.

If another 2x performance upgrade is available in 12 months it will look like the right thing to do then.

By then the DX12 / Vulkan / VR multi-GPU stuff should be rolling out all nice and ready to reap the benefits in new games, enough to enjoy on 1080 SLI, and wait for 10nm.

Wow, gaming felt unsmooth in 1 new game - not finished - still in development, and you want to ignore the 100's of other perfectly smoothly running games available for SLI.

Me thinks you are overthinking yourself into a corner of nothing fun.

From the perspective of pessimistic fail before trying method of life, everything is failure, nothing is success - because success is unthinkable.

If you go into it with a positive attitude, do your homework, find good games that scale well, find good hardware proven to work together "without micro-stutters", learn to tune and tweak your hardware basics to optimized perfection, gain control over your hardware and software resources, then you are going to succeed.

Look for and pursue success factors and you will eventually succeed.

It's a skill set that applies across all areas of life, not just getting good performance from an SLI setup :)

If someone has enough expertise to be confident enough to buy a 1080/1070 SLI laptop, I believe they are smart enough to do the research to make their own decisions. I trust they will also know how to deal with problems along the way to get things running as they want it to run.

That's not something you need to worry about :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2016
    Georgel likes this.
  5. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Never trust a Clevo manual... ;)

clevo.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Papusan, Ashtrix, hmscott and 9 others like this.
  6. mongon

mongon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Prema a hint for the price?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

TomJGX likes this.
  7. sirana

sirana Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Trust me, I've been there, done that, never again. In some cases you can tweak as long as you want, if the game doesn't support multi gpu setups well it's Sisyphus' work. Look at Doom 2016 and Just Cause 3. UE4 games. I know tweaking can make some games run smooth with good utilisation across all cards, but many games will frustrate you, leaving you questioning yourself why you just dropped 3-4k Euros when it doesn't provide you with the performance you expect from the hype you are spreading. Again, if you manage to put up with it and make it run for yourself I'm happy for you. If nvidia and game devs get their act together and step up their multi gpu support, I'm definitely willing to change my mind, but currently users are best advised to be sceptical about whether (Pascal) SLI is worth it.

hmscott and Georgel like this.
  8. Prema

Reputations:
    Check my signature for pricing details. ;)

9. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    ... Can't tell if that's a joke because of "Everything has a price" or because it links to your donation page.

10. Prema

Reputations:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.