Pascal: What do we know? Discussion, Latest News & Updates: 1000M Series GPU's

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by J.Dre, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omnomberry

Omnomberry Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You gotta look it up or ask in the owners thread of that laptop.
    From my own experience: I code with the Oculus SDK and bought a Clevo P651SE because XMG claimed it would be compatible with Oculus.
    Turned out its not because of Optimus and I had to sell the Laptop at a loss and bought my current Clevo P751ZM without this Optimus crap.

I learned that the old Clevo P651SE can never disable Optimus because the nvidia card was physically not connected to anything, but the iGPU.
    But Clevo listened (a company that listens !) and in the Skylake refresh of Clevo P651SE (forgot the name of the new one) they added a bios option to disable Optimus by having the Nvidia card wired to one connection and the internal display I believe (dont quote me on that, been some time). Obviously turning Optimus on and off required a reboot but its still a lot better and should allow VR functioning properly.

2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Most laptops have Optimus I think. Laptops with screens advertised faster than 60Hz will be Optimus free. SLI laptops (2 GPUs) are Optimus free. My laptop has an option in the BIOS so that I can disable the iGPU and run it directly off the GPU (it's called a MUX switch). I remember at least one or two Asus laptops being Optimus free. Some of the Clevo laptops with desktop processors - Optimus free. I couldn't tell you which are the laptops that have Optimus but are able to disable it through BIOS - that would require some extra research.

Georgel likes this.
  3. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No one would? Not everyone can afford to throw down so much money when they jack the prices up. I'm looking at both mid-range and top-range cards, because my wallet is only so big. If a mobile 1060 will cost the same amount as the 980M despite offering a mere 23% improvement, then I shudder to think about how much more money a mobile 1080 will cost, regardless of its performance.

Georgel likes this.
  4. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Then again, for gaming at FHD a 980m / 1060 laptops will be enough to max out everything in almost all games!

5. Prototime

Reputations:
    Yep! And I'd say that's good enough performance to live with for quite a while.

Kade Storm and Georgel like this.
  6. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    All this rubbishing Optimus is just making me more impatient to replace my P651SG with a GSYNC enabled GTX 1080M laptop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Georgel likes this.
  7. Prototime

Reputations:
    I don't have one, but I'd argue that MSI's eGPU solution is the best because it uses a full PCIe x16 connection, so there's no bottlenecking. Of course is uses a proprietary connection that only a few MSI laptops support, so it's not as transferable as the Razer Core which uses Thunderbolt 3 (PCIe x 4), but as others have pointed out using the Razer Core with non-Razer laptops doesn't produce the best results anyway. I'm the least familiar with Alienware's graphics amplifier, which I hear is the best optimized, but it also seems to combine the worst aspects of the MSI and Razer solutions: it uses a PCIe x 4 connection like the Razer Core, but has a proprietary connection (not TB3) like MSI.

So if you're holding out for an eGPU and don't mind BGA laptops, I'd go with the MSI Gaming Dock Mini. There's only two computers out right now that are compatible with it - the GS32 Shadow which came out a few months ago, and the GS30 Shadow that came out last year. I'm not thrilled with either choice because the GS32 has a dual-core processor and the GS30 is older and comes bundled with a larger version of the dock. But MSI has announced plans to make more laptops compatible with the dock in the future (including the 14" GS40 6QE Phantom, which is up on their website but no resellers seem to have it in stock yet), so hopefully by the end of the year there will be better options.

Georgel and Cakefish like this.
  8. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    I will have to keep an eye on these egpu options when Pascal finally is announced for mobile.

On the Alienware website I notice that it states PCIe x16 compatibility (I guess compatibility is different from the actual speeds it supports?). The MSI and Razer products don't appear to on sale in UK yet.

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Prototime and Georgel like this.
  9. Benmaui

Benmaui Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That Msi gaming dock is an abomination, I don't get why they cant just make a standard case, no wonder it only works with 13 inch laptops .

Cakefish likes this.
  10. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So, my 1080 FTW core clocks is stuck around 2050mhz. However, the GDDR5x clocks exceptionally well at roughly 11.4ghz.

The card is NOT power limited at all, with the power usage rarely going pass 100% when I maxed out the power target.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.