Pascal: What do we know? Discussion, Latest News & Updates: 1000M Series GPU's

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by J.Dre, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Great points throughout. The Gx100 chips were meant for the 70 and 80 series, now Nvidia relegated those to the Ti and Titan GPUs and jacked up the prices twofold. The Gx104 was supposed to be the mid-range GPU, but now it's high-end, and many of the mid-range and lower-end GPUs are all re-brands.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think I understand the problem now. I use the hardware as a means to get to the thing I really want to do which is play the games. I don't really care at a lower level why the 1080 is so much better at it than the 980 or why it uses less power. It just plain runs them better. I don't care that I'm using an 870M as long as my gaming experience is still good, which it is. The games are more important. Having 5 less lbs on my lap when I'm chilling on my recliner with a game is more important. I care about the games more than the hardware itself. I don't care what my 3dm11 score is as long as Doom runs at an acceptable framerate (which is completely just a personal decision). Obviously decisions nvidia and AMD are making have influence on how my games look and play, but since I'm still happy with my 870M an most people complaining about Pascal would probably never be, I just care about different things, and that's OK. I'll bow out of this thread as my perspective is different.

Sent from a 128th Legion Stormtrooper 6P

oveco and hmscott like this.
  3. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    If you're happy with what you've got, more power to you. Considering I only get 1 GPU half the time in games, you and I are in the same boat with respect to performance =D

4. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    still remember how crysis 2 tessellates the water under the level? Yeah.... AMD always sucked at tessllation.

Yeah, I am gonna test dual GTX 1080 SLI, not gonna actually use it. I doubt it is impressive.

5. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    That's part of the plan, and to do that I don't need vaporware.

I do understand the laziness, it's just that all GameSux titles have pretty similar behaviour among GPUs (not just AMD ones), as you already stated. Also my favorite example and my biggest gripe - pCARS. Let's not forget that unlike the other titles this one was a community driven one - the game ran perfectly fine no matter the hardware, as long as it was covering the requirements that is. Then shortly before the actual release, they got a flat tire.

6. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    GTX-1080 FE usually has a maximum of 120%.

FWIW I measured current drawn on the 12V rail with 100% and 120% limits being hit and it worked out to 150W and 180W. Unfortunately nothing to compare with so don't know if that's the norm or not but I originally presumed the 180W was for 100% limit.

Of course these limits can be bypassed one way or another so maybe it's a mutish point anyways.

7. Amal77

Amal77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not related to pascal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not bad for a 35W GPU.
    Around the same score with the GTX 860M on Fire Strike.

Georgel likes this.
  8. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Yeah 120% sounds about right.

If the card is 180W rated TDP and 120% PT maxes it out at 180W then that's extremely odd... probably a crappy broken vBIOS as per normal.

You're right about that, though. If people want to bypass the limits there are ways. Though it gives enough of a reference for what mobile can handle, which while still able to bypass power limits, values lower power draw greatly.

TomJGX and Georgel like this.
  9. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What is the double precision that is inactive in 1080 and consumer level cards? I mean for what would I use it, if I would need it?

10. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    DP is bad on GP104. terriblely bad.

Georgel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.