Pascal: What do we know? Discussion, Latest News & Updates: 1000M Series GPU's

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by J.Dre, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    Good idea, lets get someone to overclock a 980 to 2GHz core and 11GT/s memory and see how they compare. With air cooling of course.

2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Haha! (The point that's been overlooked!). (Like you) I don't see any 'cheap tricks' with Pascal, the performance improvements are real, it doesn't really matter if they managed to do that by higher clocks than Maxwell or not. I wish they'd given us bigger chips with more cores and maybe slightly lower clocks which would mean greater performance & more overclocking headroom, but it's still a good improvement over Maxwell.

hmscott likes this.
  3. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    400 pages later and we still don't know anything about mobile Pascal. Not for certain.

I'm not making the Volta thread, so... :D

jaybee83, Kade Storm, hmscott and 2 others like this.
  4. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    People know things already. They just can't say anything.

Go on.. make a Volta thread.. I know you want to ;)

jaybee83, hmscott and Mr Najsman like this.
  5. PrimeTimeAction

PrimeTimeAction Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

6. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Of course. For example the very nail that confined nGREEDIA for good for me - a brief story about GameSux. When the news broke back in the day (pCARS and The Witcher III), I was a couple of weeks away from getting a 780m. Well, I did a quick guess on where things are heading and low and behold, a year later I was more or less right. I'm not saying I knew everything right then and there (I wouldn't have guessed that they'll go so low as to cripple their own hardware), but I guessed half of it. Have you seen which titles they used for the PowerPoint? I bought Rise of the Tomb Raider just because I felt obligated, since I paid almost pocket money for Tomb Raider 2013 and it was a great game, so I thought the developers deserved it. Well, I do understand that my GPU is pretty old, but still the ROTTR runs at really low resolution (lowest) and really low settings (again, lowest), while the TR2013 ran @1920x1200 High. Needles to say ROTTR looks like ****, while TR2013 looks close, not to say the same as to what I can see from gameplay videos of ROTTR at high settings. What happened? GameSux, that's what. Why so sure, because the engine is the same - Foundation, I'm not the one saying it, the developers themselves confirmed it.

The other trick, the one I'm thinking would go unproven for a while and I already mentioned earlier in this thread - colors. Almost a decade ago I was a Symbian user, I had multiple Symbian phones, but one of them was N93, it had TI OMAP2420, just like the N95. We compared SPMark (reworked 3DMark for Symbian) benchmarks and the N93 always scored better, no matter the firmware, which N95 received quite a few, while N93 only one. In all cases it was ~30% higher score. Again the hardware was exactly the same. The difference - the display. N95 came with new and shiny display. OK, but are you 100% sure on it. Well yes, because there was a trick to run SPMark in background and the result... you could probably guess it - the same within margin of error and higher than what N93 did, let alone N95. So is it relevant to PCs, I think yes. Is it a ~30% performance hit relevant, I really don't know, but the fact is that Maxwell has color compression and AMD tried as well, not sure if it will be featured in Polaris, but they do claim HDR support. So it would be either tweaked, or removed altogether.

The third - power management. I think we all know about this one. Why 1080 is NOT 180W, same reason 980m is NOT 100W - they get a fictional average, having little with the truth.

There's probably fourth and fifth, knowing nGREEDIA, who knows.

They also march to ditch MXM, made by them, was an open standard, made it foundation or something and now going to ditch it. Maybe that's the breaking point, they realized that money can't be made from open standards. Still wonder to this day and would continue to do so, how they came with MXM and how they turned whatever they are now. Anyway, as I said, I was willing to give them a chance, but after GameSux they just went through the floor and reached for the lava, hopefully burning in a few years.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  7. Omnomberry

Omnomberry Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hearing about this just makes me wanna barf :wacko: I hope they actually **** up even harder with their marketing tricks so mainstream ppl actually notice it.

8. alexandernigth

alexandernigth Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    OMG...the n93 was a gorgeous phone...

triturbo likes this.
  9. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Your Nvidia hate is so juvenile. All of these words and you literally stated zero facts or information that can be corroborated.

You're the Donald Trump of NBR. So many words, yet so vapid and devoid of reality based thinking.

10. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Donald Trump of NBR. :D Love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.