Pascal: What do we know? Discussion, Latest News & Updates: 1000M Series GPU's

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by J.Dre, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Probably, GTX 1070 is already so heavily crippled.... It will be hard imagine anything less and still be able to call it GTX 1080m.

I am interested to see what SKU is GP104-150-A1 though. GTX 1060 TI launch soon?

jaybee83 likes this.
  2. Splintah

Splintah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    After looking at the benchmarks it's just as I suspected, the marketing hype was strong

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Maxwell has Async compute. I do not understand why people keep saying it does not. They support 31 async queues + 1 graphics queue. Pascal probably has the same. AMD won in AOTS because the game requested OVER 31 queues, and AMD can support up to 64 queues... even though AMD themselves stated that no game should require that many to run properly.

Lovely. Nice job. SLI gets gimped again.

Comparisons with the 980 are what needs to be done. Can't compare GP104 to GM200 and expect GP104 to get nearly as hot. As I suspected, nVidia most likely set the fans to 100% and blasted AC at the card or something for 68c with the OC they had.

Volta was supposed to be 2017, and it was pushed to 2018. It *WILL* happen in 2018. They can't push it back more. The real question is... will it be good and stable? Seeing Pascal, I don't know.

Stock reference 980Ti, maybe.

Yup. They had to give people reason to buy 1080s didn't they? The same Maxwell issue seems like it might happen here, where there's too big a difference between the cards because they're trying to spread their launch too thin.

4. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This does mean that buying an 1080 is probably going to get one the best performance, no? I am wondering if they are going to pull a 1080 ti anytime soon?

Another thing.

I was speaking about someone doing a 3 way monitor for laptops.

http://www.slidenjoy.com/pre-order/

That is the site, but I am not very into it. Seems they cannot play games, no smooth 60fps, no high color space reproduction.

5. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    GTX 1080 is the best single card right now, for the most part, I guess. Assuming if you can OC it stable-ly and properly I guess.

I've seen this slidenjoy deal... I still don't think it's good. Especially for laptops with less-than-stellar hinge design/engineering.

Georgel likes this.
  6. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Get AIB GTX 1080 with a custom PCB/power delivery. The stock Founder card are terrible.

James D, Georgel and hmscott like this.
  7. Phase

Phase Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    would two 1080s in sli be able to max everything out at 4k 60fps?

8. Link4

Link4 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1080's performance is actually worse than what most reviews are showing. It appears that after a few minutes of load it starts throttling.
    [​IMG]

Computerbase does a really good job of showing this, although the charts are not images so they can't be posted here without taking screenshots.

Link: http://www.computerbase.de/2016-05/geforce-gtx-1080-test/7/#diagramm-hitman-3840-2160

Look at the second chart and use the drop-down menu to select the game. In a lot of cases it's < 20% faster than a Fury X, and even loses in HiItman. It's a bit better compared to a stock 980Ti but once you compare it to an aftermarket one even 1080 MAX OC isn't much better.

As far as mobile variants are concerned this throttling doesn't sound very good and HardOCP does show that it's temperature related (this also screws up overclocking).

[​IMG]

James D, triturbo, Ashtrix and 3 others like this.
  9. Ciggles

Ciggles Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So it looks like they made perfect card for benchmarking! Just not the perfect card for actually playing games.

Papusan, Georgel and Link4 like this.
  10. Link4

Link4 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep, it's performance is great in the first 5 minutes, enough for a benchmark but then starts throttling heavily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.