Pascal: What do we know? Discussion, Latest News & Updates: 1000M Series GPU's

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by J.Dre, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link4

Link4 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am sort of in the waiting game too. I'm not really interested in Pascal or Polaris performance, I was just following things from the architectural standpoint and Pascal didn't impress at all (yeah besides clock speeds) so I am still hoping that Polaris will. I bought a Sapphire Nitro R9 380X back in December for $230 and until 4K HDR monitors start showing up I have no reason whatsoever to upgrade (my current monitor is 1080p and sucks). And also the value of this card is just amazing, heck the price hasn't even went down since launch. What's even more amazing is it started beating a desktop 970 in some newer games (went from about 780 level to 780Ti). So I'm hoping Vega will come out in Q4 and new monitors should become available by that point also so I can upgrade then. Vega 10 with 4096SP and 16GB HBM2 should at least be 60% faster than Fury X and along with 4K 60Hz HDR monitor should make some beastly system.

TomJGX and triturbo like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yeah... a few AMD Oompa Loompa console gamer boys is not something we need to lose any sleep over, but an army of Oompa Loompa console gamers is something we should all be worried about. Having the best weapons money can buy is not a guarantee of victory when you are outnumbered like 100:1, LOL. Even an army of handicapped peasants armed with nothing more than sticks and rocks can win the battle if there are enough of them.

transphasic, Georgel, Ashtrix and 6 others like this.
  3. Link4

Link4 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You forgot the pitchforks and torches. :D

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I don't get what the laugh is about.
    I am about 99% sure that Polaris 10 will be weaker than GP104. It probably won't even pass Fiji. If AMD wanted to challenge their lineup, they'll need to run Fiji on 14nm, bump the performance and add overclockability and reduce power consumption (the 14nm node should automagically do this), add HBM2.0 and sell it at like $400. If AMD however gets CLOSE to GP104 performance with some of their cards, rebranded or not, and reduces their prices very competitively, they will make a big shakeup. Why pay $150-200 USD more for a card that's 5% stronger? It's the same 980Ti v Titan X arguement, and the 980Ti won.
    Until nVidia's driver crap starting last year, and their inane attempts to control everything about a GPU and wrest control from the end-users as much as possible without making someone feel like they bought a Mac, I preferred them too. In fact, I STILL prefer them for multi-GPU, and for nVidia Inspector's absolute usefulness... but that's the hardware/software potential I'm thinking about. They're going all out with tricks and lies to the public, snuffing out people that speak ill of them to the point where the internet either sucks their meowmix or simply shuts up, and locking off their good tech behind proprietary gates or simple paywalls. They need to get knocked all the way back down to about 30% market share, and actually have to work their way back up.

But of course... they will never have that happen. Know what my twitter timeline was after the 1080 that they lied about performance and efficiency was revealed at the nice overpriced $600 USD mark? "OMG THEY MADE IT AFFORDABLE!" "OMG IT'S SO CHEAP!" "I CAN GET ONE!" "NEW CARD IN 3 WEEKS!" "I LOVE YOU @Nvidia" "GOD THEY'RE AMAZING" with everybody retweeting everything and nobody caring. AMD isn't going to beat that with Polaris and they sure as hell are not going to do it with rebranding Fiji. Vega needs to be something like... Tri-SLI Titan X performance at $600 or less to have them win anything.

That doesn't help marketshare and their ability to stay afloat, though. I've seen the master plan, and while there's a lot of good facts in there, a small portion, where AMD praise is happening, is cherry-picked. As it stands, it doesn't matter if they have console contracts. It just means they're getting a steady inflow of money in general, which might be good, but if it doesn't supersede the costs of their output, it doesn't matter. The fact that consoles haven't been dying rampantly after 1-2 years means that the 7970M cut down variant they added in the PS4 and the R7 260 they put in the Xbox 1 (which is straight cut from 7970Ms too, as far as I remember, though it matches another direct architecture codename they had that wasn't Pitcairn) are very resilient, unlike many users' mobile GPUs on this forum and on the web in general, that tended to die after about a year. Which means they're trying really hard, unlike what they felt was safe to sell us.

transphasic, Kade Storm and nick81 like this.
  5. nick81

nick81 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

I laughed at Ethrem's description of Pascal (pig with lipstick)

Anyhow, I've been disgusted with the whole GPU scene and even more so, with the so-called "next-gen" consoles.
    I have been gaming since the days of Atari and Dos and I can't remember a time where we, as consumers, have been lied to so openly.
    I honestly can't believe how Ponies can actually be excited at the prospect of a "new" PS4 so early after the launch of that console. Did they forget that these "next-gen" consoles were supposed to last at least 5 years?

I doubt AMD will match Nvidia's performance because I think they don't care about this market segment. Dominating the consoles market is more than enough for them.
    The lack of competition in PC is the worst thing to happen to us. Why would Intel or Nvidia care what we think of them? Do we have any other choice than buying their product? Same goes for Apple with the pathetic iPhone with a death timer triggered by each new iOS update. Or Microsoft with their increasingly crappy OS.
    Monopoly frickin sucks and it's a shame that we are forced to deal with it.

Ethrem, transphasic, Georgel and 3 others like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    For those paying close enough attention, there was nothing positive in my previous statements about AMD. In fact, it was exactly the opposite. Reality can be brutal... as you have pointed out. It's also the primary reason BGA turdbooks have become so popular. A product does not actually need to be any good so long as enough people can be led to believe that it is good.

stupid.jpg

Ethrem, Papusan, TBoneSan and 3 others like this.
  7. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Although, off-topic, Meerkats aren't that stupid, have great teamwork & social lives and successfully eat snakes as part of their diet, they can also survive snake venom bites even when they're that small - just wanted to defend the Meerkats is all!

CaerCadarn, Georgel, Ashtrix and 5 others like this.
  8. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I prefer the phrase "never underestimate the power of a single stupid person".

9. Kade Storm

Kade Storm The Devil's Advocate

Reputations:
    Does anyone have a source to the confirmation of AMD securing contracts for Polaris architecture with regards to the newer consoles? I've only heard speculation and hypothetical musings from the likes of DigitalFoundy and others. Is this actually confirmed?

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  10. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    I'm not aware of 7970ms dying within an year (two and more, yes, and then again not all of them), but I'm well aware of 980ms dying within couple of months, and there are no new loud and flashy topics about that. There are also dying 680ms and 780ms, but there's not a single topic to be found about it either. I found it "a bit" strange.

It's funny how precisely this matches the Pascal announcement :D

smoking2k, Georgel, Papusan and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.