Pascal ROG Strix GL502/GL702 Thread

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by NBRlurker, Aug 16, 2016.

1. TornaD-oz

TornaD-oz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've read that it is possible to pass custom parameters to WinFlash that it would accept older BIOS versions. For now I've settled with Turbo Off - less heat and noise this way, fans don't spin higher than 3500 RPM.

Doesn't ME stand for Management Engine and is responsible for regulating power behavior?

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Various
    EC is in charge of power flow from power adapter and can control CPU/GPU's power allocation.
    ME is responsible for CPU power regulation, etc.

3. TornaD-oz

TornaD-oz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That would mean that ME regulates how and when Power Limits are reported, right?

4. HayGij

HayGij Newbie

Reputations:
    /

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Have you monitored the temperature during gameplay? It seems like it's either overheating, or overloading AC adapter...

6. HayGij

HayGij Newbie

Reputations:
    /

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  7. mergen3107

mergen3107 Newbie

Reputations:
  8. Automatikjack

Automatikjack Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Update:

First, Throttlestop stopped working for some reason and I lost my underclock. Fixed with the latest update (replaced exe with newest verion, works fine and remembered all my undervolt settings).

Next:
    Larger holes were added in a honecomb pattern below all three fans in my machine and felt adhesive disks for furniture were added (2x stack) which gave increased clearance for airflow, significant improvement.

Next:
    Thermal pads have been replaced with 1.0mm arctic cooling pads,
    Paste has been updated from IC Diamond 24c to Noctua NHT5

Performance seems to have improved significantly with temps staying under 80C, usually in the 76C range which is excellent.

Here's my biggest problem and issue that I need help with:
    What in the blue blazes is that damn tape that ASUS has holding the heatsink on all the chokes near the rear of the laptop. So far I have had a hell of a time finding a replacement since I foolishly cut mine to make it easier to remove the heatsink. I suspect that the heatsink is rising up on this part and choking the extra airflow provided by the third auxiliary fan.

So far I have tried industrial strength duct tape, which worked temporarily but audibly I heard pop off after a Heaven Benchmark marathon. (Tensioned with the board and heatsinks resting firmly against their appropriate chokes and etc.) So that's out since the adhesive failed due to the high heat.

I have some Kapton and glass fiber tape on order from amazon to see if they can solve the problem, but I would like to know what that damn black tape is.

Sidenote:
    Once I get this figured out, Linustechtips, in their insane quests for laptop cooling have found a product made from a sheet of carbon fibers that massively outperforms thermal paste while not running and potentially causing problems like liquid metal. That is the next step for me since its 1) reusable 2)doesnt run and 3)doesn't age like traditional thermal paste.

Once I get this all storted out, I'll list a guide with appropriate measurements and performance comparisons between my modded bottom plate and the original unmolested one.

As for a quick lazy reference, I snagged and cropped an image I found earlier in the thread to point out the damn tape that apparently noone sells.

Now If only I can figure out why the hell I was banned for "no specified reason" indefinitely from the ROG forum all things would be peachy.

Updates to come after I throw more money at amazon for tape.

Attached Files:

hmscott likes this.