Pascal ROG Strix GL502/GL702 Thread

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by NBRlurker, Aug 16, 2016.

1. NRUserII

NRUserII Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently purchased the ASUS GL702VM-BHI7N09 laptop from Best Buy, and wanted to know:
    Laptop link: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-1...ack-anodized-aluminum/5580042.p?skuId=5580042

1) Where do I check for official BIOS updates to the GL702VM-BHI7N09 laptop?

2) How do I backup the existing the GL702VM-BHI7N09 BIOS on this laptop?

3) How would I flash the GL702VM-BHI7N09 BIOS to the latest version?

4) After I flash this BIOS to the latest version, is it possible to downgrade the BIOS in the future?

2. Attila Papp

Attila Papp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) Here
    2) You don't have to backup your version. It is available on the support site.
    3) Using the flash tool utility on the link above
    4) Yes. You just download an older version and flash it with the utility.

Don't worry. It's a safe and well guided process. It's hard to mess up.

3. spoonablehippo

spoonablehippo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  4. wallaby07

wallaby07 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Rog GL702VS has a new bios 307 2018/01/24 anyone tried this.
    I like to get the professional opinion on a bios before I upgrade?

5. Koscanada

Koscanada Newbie

Reputations:
    I have tried both https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCZ4QTK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and the samsung 960 evo nvme drives. They both kick ass !!! Price wise I'd recommend the BPX. More bang for your buck.

6. Automatikjack

Automatikjack Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, could have sworn I couldnt find an NBR owners lounge for the 702VMs last year when I got my open box for a steal from bestbuy. I've been running a custom profile from the ROG forum underclocking both cpu and graphics card. Love this laptop, but hate the anemic cooling.

I have purchased a replacement backplate for $60 and have been slightly modifying it over time to see what increases performance more than others. Immediately I've noticed height is important more than anything. The dinky little blowers have to fight to get air from the bottom and push it out the back. I really wish ASUS would have done side air intakes similar to what MSI has done with their ghosts and many of their previous series. I will be posting pictures soon of the mod and hope to not have to do what I did with my 10 year old MSI 1722 for better cooling (chop the bottom plate open, and glued an 80mm fan grille in below the blower for max unrestricted airflow.

Notebook Fan Control:
    Ive noticed something interesting for the 3rd smaller blower in the center. It seems to be used for emergency cooling when the system gets overloaded and even then refuses to spin up to full chooch (probably for fear of accoustings, seriously gtfo fan whiners use some headphones when you game instead of letting your computers hardware kill itself).

I will say that forcing everything to 100% duty before gaming will help with temps about as much as it helps with raising the laptop.

Ive since bought a pack of felt furniture disks designed to keep hardwood floors from getting damaged when moving furniture, and doubled them up for about 1/2" (12.5mm) of clearance on the back of the machine. I first noticed the difference, and you can try it too by getting something like two flash drives and stacking them below each of the feet on the rear of the machine. You'' spot a difference.

Biggest problem is, and I agree with others who have said basically the same, shared cooling for cpu/gpu is a terrible idea with high performance machines. ASUS' engineers need to reconcile with how foolish an idea this is and address it in the future iterations. In any case, this machine definitely got a 3yr warranty as I dont expect the gpu to survive even with heavy undervolting. (pessimistic since the 7970m died in my P170EM)

hmscott likes this.
  7. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    i have my laptop on foam blocks. My old Lenovo came with these foam stands, which raise the back 3 inches.

I can feel the air being sucked from underneath, like a wind tunnel.

[​IMG]

hmscott likes this.
  8. revnja

revnja Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm curious to see those pictures and hear about your results. With the undervolt and custom GPU profiles, I can get things down to 80C but it still worries me for the overall longevity of the laptop. I was also considering buying a spare bottom plate and modifying it so I'd love to see the progress you've made since we're in the same boat.

9. TornaD-oz

TornaD-oz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting, in my country they only offer a 1 year warranty for this device.

Anyways, after installing the latest 307 BIOS and MEUpdate Hotfix on my GL702VS I am now getting PL1 throttling and FPS drops with Turbo on. The only real solution I've found to this is running the machine without Turbo, but I can't help but wonder - did any of you observe the same issues?

Also, didn't see much info about it, but have you guys tried to unlock BIOS settings? There should be options to help with all kind of throttling.

10. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Can you revert the BIOS to previous version? ME should do less of that to system performance.