Pascal ROG Strix GL502/GL702 Thread

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by NBRlurker, Aug 16, 2016.

1. moortadelo

moortadelo Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a bunch for the answers. I really appreciate it! I guess you mean 2133MHz, right? I thought 2166 was not an option for DDR4 RAM. Just double checking it's a typo and I'm not buying the wrong thing haha

I have another little doubt. My laptop has 8 gigs right now installed. I was thinking about buying a 16 gigs stick and use both the 8 gigs included and the 16 I'll buy together. So, using different sized RAM sticks... I've heard everything from "there's no issue" to "it'll completely kill your CPU performance"... Any insight on that? I want to be able to upgrade to 32 down the line, so I'll buy the 16 gigs anyways, but if I can have 24 gigs for a few months until the RAM prices go back to a reasonable amount, without screwing anything, it'd be great.

2. Attila Papp

Attila Papp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yep, it was a typo :)

As far as I know dual channel won't work with different stick sizes. Your memories will operate in single channel mode, just like it does now.

When I upgraded my ram to 16 gigs, my goal was to aim for dual channel. In some games it doesn't matter, but it generally means more fps.

3. moortadelo

moortadelo Newbie

Reputations:
    So, if I add the 16 gigs they'll just work in single channel like the 8 gigs are doing right now?
    Doesn't sound like a huge deal until I buy the second 16 gig stick, I'll wait to see if someone else has any insight on it but I think I'll go for it.

Thanks a bunch again for your time!!

4. Attila Papp

Reputations:
    Yep, it's not a big deal.

5. error403

error403 Newbie

Reputations:
    so i have been digging through this thread and may have missed the answer, i apologize about that.

Has anyone seen any issues upgrading their M.2 SSD on the gl702vm since at least BIOS version 305, i just upgraded to 306 and its new enough that i doubt people have anything to report there.
    From digging around it sounds like this system uses M Key for the ssd and i shouldn't have any problem with PCIe 3.0 x4 and or NVME, but i came across a drive that was PCIe 3.1 x4 and was wondering if it should be backwards compatible. Lastly that appears to take care of the hardware side of this, is there anything tricky with either cloning my current drive which is M.2 SATA or do i need to perform a fresh install due to compatibility issues. I know many people prefer a fresh install, but if i can avoid it and still get all the capabilities from the new drive design would be simplest for me, thanks.

6. Attila Papp

Reputations:
    I never had issues with M.2 SSDs on the GL702VM on any bios (including 306) , although I'm using a sata m2 ssd.

7. error403

error403 Newbie

Reputations:
    yeah, i knew i wouldn't have any issue with the SATA version, but i am hoping to take better advantage of what my system is capable of by using the PCIe/NVME version of M.2 instead

8. TooNice

TooNice Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello. I am looking into the GL502VS and have two questions regarding it:

1. How easy is it to open the laptop to clean the fans? (Detailed reply appreciated. Namely the approximate number of screws, type of screws, and necessity to remove certain parts to access the interior)
    2. Would doing so void the warranty?

Thanks.

9. Mikez1999

Mikez1999 Newbie

Reputations:
    That's not exactly correct. The first 8gb of the 16gb stick will run dual channel with the 8gb stick. The last 8gb of the 16gb stick will run in single channel. This is called flex mode. I'm doing this myself right now. Ram in bios and HWinfo showing up as dual channel with speeds to match.

Here are the links from intel's website.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/117037
    https://www.intel.com/content/dam/w...obile-u-y-processor-lines-datasheet-vol-1.pdf

10. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:

it's easy. remove all the screws.
    stick your nail under a corner of the cover and pull up.
    Then run an old credit card the rest of the way, and the whole cover will pop off.

2. no