Pascal ROG Strix GL502/GL702 Thread

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by NBRlurker, Aug 16, 2016.

1. torgars

torgars Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks links626 for your answer !
    But can it be a faulty monitor / laptop ? Or should I hope to find a solution ?

2. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    if it only happens once, it's not faulty. It's just buggy.

According to google, tons of people have similar gsync problems.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are the temperatures really that bad? I'm trying to decide between this and the Clevo P950H6, but I read that one currently has fan noise problems.

4. Sara212

Sara212 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys. I have a question about my GL502VKS. I didn't know where to ask it, so I'll post it here.
    While heavy gaming only my left fan (I assume that is my GPU fan) spins unless I set the fan speed manually to 100% in ROG gaming center. At 100% the second fan starts to spin but even at 99% the second fan at the right side of the laptop (looking from front) stays off. Does anybody here have the same laptop? I just want to make sure my machine isn't faulty.
    The second fan works perfectly fine but the only problem is that it starts when fan speed is manually set to 100%. Thanks in advance!

5. link626

Reputations:
    the fan on your left is your cpu. That is the one you can control via ROG center.
    fan on the right is gpu.

Are you sure the right fan is off? The sound is probably being drowned out by the other fan. You can probably feel air blowing.

6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Instead of using vsync, disable it, and try using the RTSS frame limiter, and set a frame limter setting of refresh - 1, like 120hz => 119 FPS, or 60hz => 59 FPS.

MSI Afterburner bundle's RTSS and using both you can also display on screen frame rate, GPU / CPU temps and utilization, and lots of other info, or disable OSD and just use the frame limiter.

7. Sara212

Sara212 Newbie

Reputations:
    I am sure the right side fan stays completely off unless I manually set the fan speed to 100%. Even at 99% only my CPU fan spins and the GPU fan stays off.
    Maybe for this specific model (GL502VSK) this is how the fan works...I am kind of worried...I would be so glad if others tell me how their laptop fans work. Do both fans spins automatically or not? Thanks!

8. link626

Reputations:
    your pc is not going to burn itself up. If the temp is very cool, the fans will stop spinning until it reaches higher temp. both fans are supposed to run automatically.

But just to test, download and run hwinfo64 sensors, and open a game, and look at the gpu temp. If the fan were always off, the gpu would quickly burn itself up and throttle itself to something like 400mhz.

You would know that the gpu fan is on if your gpu clocks are over 1300mhz, and the gpu temp stays below 80-85C.

9. Sara212

Sara212 Newbie

Reputations:
    When playing heavy games only my CPU fan spins. Even after 2 hour of gaming... The temps go as high as 95C for CPU and 89C for GPU but still the GPU fan does nothing except I manually set fan speed to 100% before the game starts. Then both fans spin at maximum speed and temps drop to ~77C for CPU and ~70C for GPU.
    I read a post which said the GPU fan only starts to spin when its temp reaches 90C. Under heavy load my CPU fan spins so fast that it keeps my GPU temp below 90C only by 1 degree and doesn't let GPU to reach 90C.
    Maybe there is something wrong with its sensor or something, but I hope not...My laptop is just 1 week old :(

10. link626

Reputations:

it's not supposed to be like that. The gpu fan will come on at much lower temps.

I'm guessing you might have installed other gpu-related apps that are interfering with the regular fan behavior.

One other thing you should check is if you have the latest bios firmware at the asus website.