Pascal ROG Strix GL502/GL702 Thread

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by NBRlurker, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Salvolin

Salvolin Newbie

Reputations:
    @Attila Papp, can you share your notebook fan control profile with me?

Sent from my Aquaris M5 using Tapatalk

2. PGT

PGT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    perfect, thanks. Its the CPU fan correct?

3. Attila Papp

Attila Papp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The profile is included in the latest nfc beta version for the GL702VM. I dont personally use nfc, as I found out that it barely makes a difference compared to the stock fan curves

4. Attila Papp

Attila Papp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think yes, but check out the model numbers if you can find them. I came across this website when I was looking to find a replacement backplate to drill holes in it. Not sure if I'll do it in the end. I'm pretty satisfied with my current setup right now

5. PGT

PGT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah....the part numbers don't correlate which is what I'm not sure. Shipping is $25 so probably wouldn't hurt to order all three fans listed.

6. Chewingum

Chewingum Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    BIOS update 302 for GL502VMK is out! It optimizes system performance. Anyone tried it?

7. ginandtonic

ginandtonic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes , but the games frame rate seems to have dropped somewhat... How do I go back to Bios 203?

2 problems:

- Cannot find the bios 203 file to download
    - Winflash will not let me flash an older bios version

UPDATE: Ok, I can install isuing this method:

but still cannot find the bios gl502vmk.203 file.....

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  8. Chewingum

Chewingum Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Seems like they removed the 203 version.
    Are you sure you're getting a worst frame rate than before? I installed it and apparently looks the same as the 300 version. I only noticed 2 things:

- The CPU doesn't reach 70°C anymore while starting programs or chrome. Before every time I started a program or just browsing the CPU would go up to 75°C for a few seconds, then go back to 50's. Now it only goes up to 60's.
    - Soon after updating the BIOS I started Dishonored 2 and was unplayable. I had like 9-20 fps for the first 5 minutes. Then it went back to normal 60 and it never happened again.

9. ginandtonic

ginandtonic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The laptop in general seems to be quicker and snappier for general use with the newer BIOS 302 (web browsing, etc..), also I have noticed it runs a little cooler, not so much fan noise.
    But I have the sensation of more micro stutter in games and maybe 3 or 4 fps less than with the 203 version of BIOS.

With BIOS 302, I have reset the CPU "processor performance boost mode" to "agressive" (in control panel power options, advanced processor power management), the CPU does not overheat any more like it did with the 203 BIOS.
    With BIOS 203,I had to disable CPU processor boost mode , I had a few sudden laptop shut downs due to the CPU overheating when using boost mode with BIOS 203 (when gaming)

hmscott likes this.
  10. Chewingum

Chewingum Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Oh now I understand.
    I can't make a comparison with the 203 BIOS 'cause my laptop shipped with the 300 BIOS already installed, but those 4 fps less you're detecting kinda worry me, I don't like getting a performance downgrade. I am just curious since I never touched those settings. What's the difference between "processor performance boost mode" and " aggressive"? (regarding gaming)