Pascal possible in m15x - possible edp Mod?

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by True Debreuil, Aug 24, 2018.

1. True Debreuil

True Debreuil Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey all, been doing some digging around in regards to the m15x mobo's missing EDP connector. Ill attach a photo of this to the thread. Next I looked up this part in the mobo schematics (cm27). I dont really understand this part but I found that they actually removed the port in an early revision of the motherboard, which i assume means that it would work if someone was to solder a connector on there. Thought Id post this info as i though it was useful and hadn't seen it anywhere else, let me know what you think.
    In the bios there is also some EDP setting but im not quite sure what it means

PS I have a spare mobo if anyone wants to attempt this or guide me ;)

Attached Files:

2. True Debreuil

Reputations:
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  3. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The leading asterisk before each part number means that the part is not physically present in the final design. You will also need to add the following:

C811
    C812
    C813
    C814
    C815
    C816
    R898
    R899
    R900
    R901
    R902
    R903
    R906
    R907
    R908

All resistors besides R906,907, and 908 can just be a a dab of solder to bridge the circuit. You can pull the caps from pretty much any dead motherboard or desktop GPU.

Good luck on finding a cable. Clevo built a (nonfunctional) eDP slot for the P150EM series but never made a cable to go with it.

triturbo likes this.
  4. True Debreuil

Reputations:
    Ah, sounds like it could more trouble than its worth, perhaps if i get my hands on a pascal gpu I may try it. Do you have any idea what those LFP settings are and whether they actually do anything?

5. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Any nehalem mobile chip will significantly bottleneck a pascal GPU, this is only if you seriously so in love with this machine that you’d like to make a proof of concept for it

triturbo likes this.
  6. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    However theoretically, this could be used with Polaris or even a 1060, which would be the height of this machine and would have some usage, but not many

7. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have an ES M15x mobo. Where do I check for the eDP port? If present do I need to add a eDP cable + panel?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018