Pascal MXM GPU Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ssj92, Aug 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpsm

jpsm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The only reason why i would have been happy with the aw13 is because i could decently game on it and i could get it for like 700usd and then sell it used here in my country for 1000usd give or take and thats used!. 300usd additional money put towards the upgrade of what would have been the batman 3.0 or the 870dm2. Crossing my fingers and hoping that many manufacturers will go into the whole egpu thing to drive the prices of the boxes down. More competition= better for us consumers as we all know. I'll try my luck approaching people i know from the local animation industry as i am hoping they would know someone who would need this kind of computing power and as soon as i get the payment i'll be running directly to @Larry@LPC-Digital to order the new batman and hopefully this time he can give me a better discount as i am a returning customer :p

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    AW eGPU is under $150 now on Amazon. Unfortunately, it is a proprietary piece of junk and does not work with TB3. I found a thread at Tech|Inferno where a guy was trying to mod one to use Thunderbolt instead of the proprietary Alienware connection and it seems to have been a waste of time.

https://www.amazon.com/Alienware-9R...&sr=8-1&keywords=alienware+graphics+amplifier

TomJGX, jpsm and Papusan like this.
  3. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    There is a good chance AW might be moving towards TB3 as well.

4. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I voted in favor of MXM. Although I have consigned myself to buying a BGA notebook due to concerns about price and portability, I would absolutely love to have modular components like MXM creep their way down into smaller form factor notebooks. I highly doubt this will ever happen, but if it ever did, I would have folks like you supporting MXM at higher levels to thank for it. I also sympathize with the unfortunate situation that many Clevo and MSI owners are experiencing right now with violated expectations and broken promises for MXM upgradability, and I hope you get the upgrades you are due.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Papusan, hmscott, ajc9988 and 2 others like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Thanks for your support. We really do appreciate it. It means a lot and every vote helps get the attention of the right people. Hopefully, our joint efforts can ensure this never happens again.

Side note: Some of us do have little laptops with MXM. Even me... little P750ZM with a desk 4790K and 980M in a tiny 15-inch package. Smallest high performance laptop I have owned and it is extremely powerful. So, this is very doable. What many consumers do not understand is the driving force behind BGA. The main advantage to BGA for the OEMs is customers cannot fix it or upgrade it easily and affordably. They hope to make more money selling new machines as frequently as some folks buys socks and underwear. If you upgrade it for less than half the cost of a replacement system, they make nothing on repeat sales. It's all about their greediness and being control freaks more than anything else.

temp00876, Ashtrix, TBoneSan and 4 others like this.
  6. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Riiight. I wont comment on that, but I would on something else - the amount of people asking for possible upgrade where all their hardware is soldered. And people ask why NBR is aggressively geared against BGA - because informative decision, that's why. People have to know what they are buying, if they decide to buy anyway - their call. That's why I'm vocal on BGA, that's why I'm vocal on current Clevos - where's the warranty that they wont switch once again with HBM, because it just happens that HBM is coming right-up next. Almost zero point in removable GPUs (you can still replace defective/burned module, but that's all about it).

As for me - Polaris, please, because FU nGREEDIA. Yeah, I'm that guy.

temp00876, Ashtrix, TBoneSan and 5 others like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Based on the current snapshot, it looks like our numbers do not jibe with theirs. Maybe they asked the wrong people to get the answer they were looking for. Anyhow, it looks like the 1% refers to those that would prefer to waste money replacing a perfectly good machine with a new one instead of a simple and affordable GPU upgrade. This is encouraging. It shows us that a statistically irrelevant portion of the people answering our poll questions are actually stupid.

[​IMG]

TBoneSan and hmscott like this.
  8. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    Sad thing is that majority of the people in the market looking for a $3k laptop dont even know about Clevo DTR's. And then out of the ones that do know about, only 1% care about upgrade ability ? Give me a break, those stats are just a way of lying and getting genuine people like Prema off their tails.

And after all the ******** they just pulled, im glad the more people dont know about these DTR's. I for one am not going to recommend Clevo's. Might as well suggest an ASUS with a soldered on 1060/1070 , which at least looks good. And is disposable in a year or 2.

temp00876, TBoneSan, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  9. Knight666

Knight666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    At least Asus will be cheap... and won't lie and super charge for fake upgradeability. :)

10. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    Pretty much.

But then again, Clevo never officially said their systems are up-gradable. The ones up to this point just were.

hmscott and Knight666 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.