Pascal MXM GPU Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ssj92, Aug 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    i want so bad LOL

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I feel the same way. I'm very angry at Clevo, too. Problem is there is absolutely no acceptable alternative. BGA turdbooks are totally unacceptable, so that leaves Clevo and.... and......... and.......... desktop.

3. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    ssj92 and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    We can actually set those to whatever we want. I set the redirects to 5 days.

ssj92 likes this.
  5. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Done, glad to see this come up, Hope this will introduce some change, remembering that Ngreedia Clockblock fiasco..:eek:

Thank you NBR/TI.

6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    just buy a chromebook and a hedt desktop

less headache

7. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    you mean NVIdia ? They will hardly care. They also informed all of us in 2014 that the MXM cards were going away, at least the way we knew it, they even told us the cards are going to be like the 980DT models when the 980DT models came out from now on.

Essentially if you used or purchased a laptop that could only use a single one of those cards, well, you are only going to be able to use a single one of those cards.

Now - it DOES seem like they still are producing the older cards, but they were supposed to have stopped. I guess they see that the cheaper older sizes still have some value, i.e like the 1060 N17E-A1-G1 versions seen about. Also - they showed two of those in a car computer system way back I think, using the black PCB.
    Those should offer some performance increase over 980M when in SLI and using 4K resolution and doing VR.

small fun fact. did you know the MOQ for Clevo's is 300 laptops a month for 3 months, paid in advance, to get the first reduction in price/discount.

There are tons of products I can get all over the world that would offer MOQ's of 10-50-100 etc...

even becoming a DELL partner sports 15-25% discounts laptops with no minimum to buy.

There are reasons why Clevo is stuck where it is in the world and never gains ground to companies like MSI/Alienware/ASUS. Real shame.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    bennyg likes this.
  8. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Yeah much better option, but I need portable power, can't go that route, not yet.

9. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    vr backpack

10. bradleyjb

bradleyjb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I was thinking Clevo, since presumably they could have come up with a GPU form factor that worked for our machines. However, based on the rest of your description of them, I am being wishful that they would care.

I would love to see the economics behind the engineering decision. Clearly those who purchased P870DMs (and some of the other models I am less familiar with) must fall into an enthusiast/need a workstation market segment. I'd love to see Clevo's analysis and assumptions on who from this group would upgrade their GPUs or do nothing if there was or wasn't an upgrade path available. I would have thought it to be a no-brainer to give an upgrade path. Annual notebook upgraders would have bought one anyway - those who want/need the latest and fastest. The rest would be upgrading the GPUs over the next 0-3 years and be a steady stream of revenue. Not sure why that was ignored ... some of the GPU upgraders may be converted (like me potentially), but I am guessing that most will not, and will just keep their current (expensive) laptops.

bennyg and hmscott like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.