Pascal Laptop hunt [GTX1070] - MSi GT62VR vs ASUS Strix GL502VS vs AORUS x5v6 vs Acer Predator 15

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by AJ2.0, Aug 31, 2016.

?

Which of the following GTX1070 Notebooks would you suggest and why?

1. MSi GT62VR

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. Asus Strix GL502VS

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. Aorus X5 V6

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. Acer Predator 15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Something else? (Please comment)

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJ2.0

AJ2.0 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? ~$2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Not sure about the Acer Predator 15's build quality nor the Aorus but the MSi and Asus offerings seem durable.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Nope

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming, Rendering, Programming assignments (since I'm doing my Game Design Major)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both, but I'm comfortable carrying anything.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    YES. Most of the AAA titles and many other demanding ones.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 3+ would be fine, since I'm gonna plug it in for full gpu horsepower anyways.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    A hands on is preferable since I need to know how it feels in person.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Windows.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    At least FHD, but Pascal gpus are capable of driving a 4K panel so the more pixel density, the merrier. Although I think it might require more power for the gpu to run the 4k screen hence result in more heat (?)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Non glossy preferred.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within the first 2 weeks of September.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    At least 2-3 years. My last laptop has been working for the past 9 years, so anything that comes close would be seriously appreciated.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? 1TB HDD + M.2 SSD for OS.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    Nope.

So I've been scouring the market for the new breed of gaming laptops that sport the Pascal series of Nvidia GPUs (specifically the GTX1070 since that's the sweet spot right now). I have very patiently waited for a really long time to decide upon what to get since I needed a powerful laptop to fulfill my requirements since I'm a tech enthusiast and like to maintain my tech really well.

I'm a pursuing my majors in Game Design where I'll need to create projects using Unity3D, OpenGL, Maya, Blender for digital content creation and Photoshop for Graphic Design. Programming will go hand in hand along with projects.

I listed the 4 laptops in the title since they're the ones that have the 15.6" screen size and rock the GTX1070. However, the only thing that concerns me is whether an ultraportable gaming notebook will be durable enough and have decent cooling so that it doesn't die in the next 5 years or so which is why I'm inclined towards the chunky machines.

I'm considering the MSI GT62VR, but prior to the Pascal launch, had my eyes on the Predator 15 (which had the GTX 980m then). Haven't seen any video reviews of the updated Predator 15, so can't tell.

I used to like Alienware, but I've observed they're wayyyyy overpriced for what they offer.

TL;DR - Dude pursuing Game Design majors needs gaming laptop with Pascal GPU that will be used for rendering/animation.

Sorry for the long post. Here's a banana

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Don't forget the Clevo P650RS. That's the other main competitor in the types of laptops you looking at.

Without the Clevo I like the MSI the most. It's built really solid. It also has a nice DAC (along with the Clevo) for high end audio if that's something your interested in. I'm also not sure about the predator, but the Aorus is probably not the first option I'd go with since its so expensive, and the Asus has had mixed reviews for temps so far, a few people have very hot ones.

The Asus would be the lightest option and quieter but it seems to get hot.

The MSI is fat but really a solid performer.

The Aorus is super thin, but also a bit on the warm side, and pricey.

The Acer I don't know to much about, but reviews have been decent of the older model.

The Clevo is a solid performer and decently thin all around, subtle looks could be a pro or con.

bachor and AJ2.0 like this.
  3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Those apps would benefit the most from a higher end processor than a higher end video card. You might consider something like the Clevo P750DM2 with a 6700K and GTX 1060. You could also check out the upcoming Eurocom Tornado F5 (an MSI Barebones similar to the GT62, but uses Socket 1151 processors like the Clevo above) but it is not supposed to be released until late September.

AJ2.0 and Galm like this.
  4. Galm

Reputations:
    Also good advice, I wasn't focusing to much on the programs. If he can't wait overclocking a 6820hk can almost match a 6700k.

5. AJ2.0

AJ2.0 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for your insight! I've been giving the Clevo some thought now, since I see a lot of people mentioning it in various forum posts. If not the MSi, I might consider customizing the Clevo on Xoticpc since it has a backpack friendly form factor. But won't the slimmer profile affect heat dissipation?
    Also, I believe the 6700HQ is locked and cannot be overclocked? Perhaps the 6820HK will be more beneficial in this regard.
    Will 16 GB of 2400mhz DDR4 RAM suffice?

6. Galm

Reputations:
    RAM yep that's solid. The Clevo has very solid cooling, some initial testing showed it with temps only in the 70s under load which is great. A 6820hk is worth it if you like overclocking (HQ series are locked), to control temps I'd recommend going somewhere with liquid ultra thermal compound, as that stuff is awesome on delidded cpus (which all laptops are). The thing has 3 fans and a ton of heat pipes crammed in which is why it is cooled so well. In the U.S. HIDEvolution would be the place to go for this stuff as they offer the thermal compound and also give you the Prema bios, (not out yet they'll flash it whenever Prema is done). The Prema bios gives you much more control and freedom over overclocking and throttling targets than Sager does.

Mine should be coming soon :p

AJ2.0 likes this.
  7. AJ2.0

AJ2.0 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sweeeeet! I saw an EVOC P650RS - G on HIDEvolution and tried customizing it. Is that the same chassis as the Sager and Clevo? Also, how's the keyboard on this system?

Since I plan on using the new laptop as my primary system, will the after sales service be at par with the big names like Asus and MSi in case I run into trouble?

I'll research more on the prema bios.

8. Galm

Reputations:
    The Evoc is there name for Clevo. So it is a Clevo, and Sager is also a Clevo just renamed. Keyboard is fine, travel is pretty decent for a laptop, similar to the MSI.

I honestly like support more from HID type companies because they are smaller. I know my rep by name and have spoken with him several times. Its more personal to deal with than Asus and MSI, I'm never put on hold or anything.

Your not gonna find much negative about the Prema bios, Prema even uses this forum, often under the Clevo section.

AJ2.0 likes this.
  9. AJ2.0

AJ2.0 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've read through the entirety of the unofficial Clevo P650RS-G owners lounge and have alomst finalized on getting an EVOC system from HIDEvolution since everyone praises the laptop quite a lot. Things that I'm now concerned with -
    1. Does the 4K panel have G Sync? What's the stock refresh rate?
    2. The 1070 is capable of easily handling 4K in general usage hence I think games being played at 1080P or 1440P should scale properly on this screen.
    3. Please take a look at the configuration I have saved in the attached screenshot -

Attached Files:

10. Galm

Reputations:
    1. GSync is on it and its 60Hz.
    2. 1070 is so good it can handle a surprising amount at 4K. BF4 for instance you can max at 4k. Easily handles 1080p.
    3. Your config is solid. Only tip is you can save money by buying your own drives, but if you want them to install windows it doesn't matter much. If you like overclocking the 6820hk could be worth it, but a 6700hq is still a very solid cpu so its not that big a deal.

AJ2.0 and Xileforce like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.