Pascal in M15x: The Final Verdict!

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Raidriar, Mar 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    First find out if there is any signal on the port, if not, then how to get active signal to the port. Then you will want to worry about the panel.

That all being said, it should still work via HDMI no?

2. True Debreuil

True Debreuil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    According to the schematics, there is signal to the board. In the bios you can choose EDP out so the software side of it is there too.

3. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah 99% sure it's a properly wired eDP interface. But what does that get you? Isn't there still the EFI lack issue?

4. True Debreuil

Reputations:
    I dont think so, my 980m gsync worked and that needs Uefi afaik, The problem would be finding an edp panel for it.

5. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Because the aspect ratio of eDP panels do not physically match up? At first glance there are a few eDP panels on eBay and I think it is just 30 pin to 30 pin any brand cable should work.

6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Any 15.6" 16:9 edp display should work (and there are plenty out there), provided it comes with the necessary cabling and the pinout of the LCD matches the pin config on the motherboard. I'm more curious as to where you managed to source a M15x motherboard with a edp connector on it.

7. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Guessing a grey market escape. I built the system from parts back when these were still super expensive.

8. zappie

zappie Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey TD,

My M15x recently died on me for some reason which I still yet to figure it out.

With that I might need to change the mobo if its broken, Hope to get one with the eDP port like yours. I have been scouring the net to find one but most of the 05GVT models out there doesnt seem to have the connectors even though theres a label for it. Have a look below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Would you be able to share where did you sourced that mobo please?

Its just in case if I have to replace my mobo, I might as well get one with eDP connectors and who knows pascal might be possible with M15x in the near future... hopefully and keeping my fingers crossed.:)

Thanks!!!

Edit: Ignore this... just saw your post on other threads regarding the eDP connectors missing. Amazing you have a unique mobo there for your m15x!!!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  9. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The plan is to test the M15x eDP and verify if existing production boards can support with advanced soldering of needed parts.

I may have a 1070M coming. Still unknown on eDP panel to use.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  10. True Debreuil

Reputations:
    Just tried my 1060 in the m15x and it posts, BUT there is no display to the screen at the moment.

EDIT
    So i tried m15x + Msi 1060n
    Passes post as I can get to invalid adapter scren, and hear myself navigating the bios, so i assume it has posted. I tried with a VGA cable connected + a display port cable but neither of those gave me a display out. If there is a UEFI setting somewhere that I need to turn on, perhaps that could be it

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.